Best program to clean mac for quicker start

Reaction score
I'm somewhat new to MacBook Pro. My Mac starts up very slowly. Please let me know the best program to 'clean my mac' so it starts up more quickly. thanks so much.

is there any way to get my macbook pro to start up more quickly. since the magsafe cable was repaired, it takes a long time. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
System preferences > Users and groups (accounts in some versions of OSX), Your account > Login items

See if there is a load of login items you don't need first, rather than start to use "clean up" programs

OP
L
Reaction score
thank you and follow up

thank you very much. When I opened logins I found

Dropbox
MS Word
AdobeResourceSynchronizer
Geneio (no idea what this is)
TuneupMyMac

i used the minus button to delete all but Word, but it still took a good while to start up when I Restarted. Any suggestions welcome.

thanks for your kind patience.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, do you really need MS Word to load automatically every time you log into your Mac? If not delete that from the Login Items as well. This won't delete Word from the computer merely stop it from loading every time you log into that account.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After you've uninstalled Geneio and TuneupMyMac and removed everything from the login items that are not essential to you for starting up everytime you log in...

Download Onyx from here - get the correct one for the version of OS X you are using - install it - head for the Maintenance tab and I'd recommend you check off everything in the Cleaning and Maintenance sections - read them first so you know what it's doing.

Then, If you've had this Mac since 2010 and have now or have ever had more than about 30-35% used space on the hard drive, would suggest you grab iDefrag and defrag the drive or... after you've backed up the drive and verified the backup, format and do a clean install of the OS and restore from the backup which will also defrag it or... get a newer larger drive to replace the one you have which would also give you a faster experience if you're still using the stock drive that came with it.

edit: Please do not create a thread with the same topic in multiple places.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And then consider putting an SSD in. Quickest startup ever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.