Tracking App

Reaction score
Hi,

I've seen several tracking type apps whereby users can track their friends, and other apps that track the route that you run on Google Maps.

I want to add a small feature to one of my apps so that your friends can send you a tracker invite, and then you can see your friend on Google Maps until they cancel the tracking.

What would be the architecture behind building / designing this function. Should we just update the DB every 5 seconds with your friend's current location, and then keep refreshing your map so that you can see their new position every 5 seconds, or is there a better way to achieve this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't have an answer informed by professional knowledge but you could establish a socket connection between the two devices and send the co-ordinates across that way. What language/framework are you using?

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply. It's a native Object C app run with a Parse backend.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Here's some info on Apple docs about setting up sockets between applications/devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.