External Monitor Question

Reaction score
Okay, so my friend has an iMac 27 inch and I was thinking about the fact that he can run safari and have the application open on his desktop, and the the window doesn't take up the whole screen but still looks good. He can then open spotify and push it to the right side of the window and have both applications in the same window without filling the whole screen. I have a macbook pro 13inch with a 40 or so inch external monitor. As I pull my applications to said monitor they do not fill the same way. The zoom greatly and fill the screen as applications do on a macbook screen. Is there any resolution settings or tips you guys have on making my external monitor fit windows like the iMac does?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Okay, so my friend has an iMac 27 inch and I was thinking about the fact that he can run safari and have the application open on his desktop, and the the window doesn't take up the whole screen but still looks good. He can then open spotify and push it to the right side of the window and have both applications in the same window without filling the whole screen. I have a macbook pro 13inch with a 40 or so inch external monitor. As I pull my applications to said monitor they do not fill the same way. The zoom greatly and fill the screen as applications do on a macbook screen. Is there any resolution settings or tips you guys have on making my external monitor fit windows like the iMac does?

The bottom line is. It's very possible that the resolution of the 27" iMac and the resolution of the 40" external monitor are not the same...especially if the 40" external monitor is only 720p.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
The bottom line is. It's very possible that the resolution of the 27" iMac and the resolution of the 40" external monitor are not the same...especially if the 40" external monitor is only 720p.

- Nick

The monitor is 1080p.

I found that the issue was I was using the overscan option with the external. After removing it I found the answer to my question.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.