Hidden or password protected folders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
I want to create a folder within my Documents that is password protected or hidden, basically just not viewable to anyone else besides me without some type of authentication. I know in Windows this can be done by creating hidden folders, how do I do something like this in OSX?

I am running 10.4.5

Reaction score
Using Disk Utility, you can make an encrypted disk image. Open Disk Utility, go under File to New, then slide over to Blank Disk Image. The popup lets you encrypt it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
The only thing I was able to create through disk utility was a .dmg file. It will not let me treat this file like a folder and place documents into it.

Am I doing something wrong? I just need some way to encrypt a folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you open the .dmg file it will place a "drive" on your desktop and you can drag and drop / save files in there, once you eject it you will have to open the .dmg file to get that drive back.. this will be encrypted.

N

notoriousformul

ah, I wondering the same.. i wanted an encrypted Folder/drive on my new PB.. thanks for the great tip guys :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
that is what I did, I have a disk image called documents in my documents folder.. and it is the only thing in there.. when I want to save something I mount the image then save it in there. this insures that It can not be viewed by somebody who I do not want to have permission to view my documents. Remember don't save your code in your keychain or else anybody can access the image as long as they have access to your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
Fallooza said:
is this a joke?
ok so i dont know how to copy search results to a thread, but if you do a search for password protect you will get the same results.

K

Kokopelli

If all you want is to restrict access then you could set permission to the folder and all children to 600 (read and write for the owner, no access to groups and other).

An encrypted disk is the better option, but of course you need to mount it every time you need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.