XLSX files with Numbers

Reaction score
My accountant has sent me a spreadsheet suffixed “.xlsx” that I cannot open via Apple Works 6. Will I be able to open it if I get Numbers?

Also, will I be able to send him “.xlsx” spreadsheets that I create in Numbers? My spreadsheets would be simple ones: just lists of expenses and sums of money in £ sterling.

I have an MPB with 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance for comments.

M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The answer to both of your questions is yes. Unless the particular Excel sheet has some very unusual formulas and attachments, the latest version of Numbers should have no problem opening, editing, and saving it.

But rather than spending money on buying Numbers, why not download one of the free Office suites instead? OpenOffice and LibreOffice are free and contain spreadsheet programs which can do what you're asking.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks very much chscag for your detailed and helpful reply.
I’ll now investigate the options. I presume that Numbers, OpenOffice and LibreOffice would all come down over the broadband and that I wouldn’t need to wait for a CD to be mailed.
Renewed thanks …
M

OP
M
Reaction score
There's a snag.
Just looked at Numbers and Open Office but they are both asking for more recent OS than my 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). Numbers needs 10.9 and Open Office needs 10.7.
I really don’t want to upgrade this 2009 MPB.
M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No snag. You didn't look far enough or inquire as to the system requirements. ;)

Go here to download and also see requirements. According to what I read, it can be installed to Tiger or higher.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.