Using back up drive to replace what is on a laptop

Reaction score
My vintage iMac died recently, and what I want to do is completely replace what is on my Macbook Pro with the iMacs backup drive. I used SuperDuper to back it up, and did it as a bootable copy of everything. The iMac was running Mavericks, but the laptop is still running 10.7.5, which is Lion, I think. How do I go about doing this?

The Macbook Pro stats:
Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Many thanks for even just looking!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How do I go about doing this?

You can't. Reason you can't is that the hardware on the MacBook Pro is different from that which was on your iMac. In order to install Mavericks on the MacBook Pro, you'll need to download it from the Mac App store, install it, and then use the backup from the iMac to selectively copy files to the MacBook Pro. That method should work.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks! Even though that was not what I wanted to hear, your reply was speedy and to the point. Much appreciated. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.