LaunchPad Organization

Reaction score
I rather like using LaunchPad, but I find the helter-skelter look of the icons so annoying that I tend to lose what time is saved just trying to find an app that is not used very often. I know I can take the time to alphabetize the icons by manually moving them, but surely I can have Mavericks do it for me, including putting any new app in its correct position the same way as it does in the finder. Am I goofy, or is there no such arrangement possible, other than manually?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, you could always download and install "Launchpad Manager" for $7.99 from here or "Launchpad Control" from here for free.

If you really like to use Launchpad, the Launchpad Manager app ($7.99) is best as the free version mentioned above from MacWorld is very basic.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, chscag, for taking the time to answer. From your reply I get the feeling that LaunchPad is not a favorite of yours, how so?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Frankly, I don't find Launchpad useful since I keep my favorite or most used apps on the Dock where they're easily selected. Everyone has their own personal way of doing things, however. If you like Launchpad, then one of the apps I mentioned above might be just what you need to enhance its use.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi jacew

Apart from Launchpad, there are one or two swift ways of launching an app which might be of assistance or can be ignored, as you choose. They are inbuilt to OS X.

1. If you keep the Application Folder Alias in your Dock, you can click on it and start to type in the first few letters of the app. This will "jump" to that app & then just click it or hit Return to open it.

2. In exactly the same way, you can use Spotlight. Hit Cmd plus the Spacebar to bring up spotlight. Again start to type in the name of the app and it will come up as the first "hit". Hit Return and it opens.

Just a couple of ideas.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks to both chscag and IWT for helpful comments. I have been doing it like chscag, putting my most used apps in the Dock, but it's the app I seldom use that I am unable find quickly with LaunchPad because it is not sorted in a helpful manner. However, I can see how IWT's ideas can "find" the app for me without having to hunt for it. Thanks a lot, guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.