Epson Expressions 1640XL problem

dae

Reaction score
I recently bought this scanner second hand. I have owned a Epson Expressions 836XL for the past four years and wanted to upgrade from that due to the fact the 836XL doesn't connect with my late 2012 Mac Mini. I have these scanners for the fine art printing studio I own and run.

Here is my problem with the 1640XL I recently bought. It was packed well, about 10 inches of thick bubble wrap in a box that made it so it couldn't move. When I unpacked it the first thing I noticed was that the scanning head was looked when this was being transported and when I lifted the head I noticed the scanning head in the middle of the scanner and not seated to the left like it should be. I hooked it up to my Mac, got the drives and have it connected.

At this point I'm getting scans like this.
Scan.jpeg

I figure with the output of the scan being dis colored and having lines through it means, since the head wasn't locked during transportation that it took damage. I posting this figuring it's a long shot, but if you know of a fix it would be greatly appreciated.

•Dae

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently bought this scanner second hand.

It was packed well, about 10 inches of thick bubble wrap in a box that made it so it couldn't move. When I unpacked it the first thing I noticed was that the scanning head was looked when this was being transported and when I lifted the head I noticed the scanning head in the middle of the scanner and not seated to the left like it should be.

I figure with the output of the scan being dis colored and having lines through it means, since the head wasn't locked during transportation that it took damage.

Why not return the printer to the person you purchased it from...or open a claim with the delivery company for possible damage?

Either way...you shouldn't keep or pay for an item that doesn't work.

- Nick

OP
D

dae

Reaction score
Why not return the printer to the person you purchased it from...or open a claim with the delivery company for possible damage?

Either way...you shouldn't keep or pay for an item that doesn't work.

- Nick

I'm actually getting a full re fund for the scanner. I just wanted to know if there was a fix. Its funny tho after I wrote this up (I have been playing around with the scanner today as a last ditch effort) If I lock the head and then unlock the head then scan I get good scans. I figured out my own problem with a little trail and error. Of course this is a temporary work around. This just points out that there is something wrong with the head and that it's not being seated properly when it goes back to its seated position. I would like to open it up and fix it so it works properly but if I can use this till I get a new one I guess its not that much of a hassle to just lock the head manually and unlock it for each scan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.