• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Defrag

R

robhimself

Does anyone know if there is like a disk defrag program similar to the pc version for mac? Or if there is software already included in OSX that will get rid of all the junk, and reorganize files and what not in the hardrive?

Im just trying to get the optimal performance out of my imac.

:robot:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You do not need to defrag a mac although there are options that will however do this. You can find them on versiontracker.com and macupdate.com I have not found a free one, just shareware that you have to eventually pay for, but if you search you might find one for free aswell.

OP
T

topshot

Mac OS X auto defrags as you use it, (atleast smaller files as these are the ones that cause problems with speed) and their are built in command line tools from terminal (don't try messing in here unless you know what you are doing) and tools you can find on versiontracker.com. But to be honest, when I first switched, I did the same thing out of habbit - wanting to make the machine faster. But defrag really does nothing on the Mac. It won't slow down like a PC over time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Defragging, can actually speed up your mac. Every little bit, and on an aging machine, helps. The quicker a HD can retrieve material the better. I use DiskWarrior from time to time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Graphite said:
Defragging, can actually speed up your mac. Every little bit, and on an aging machine, helps. The quicker a HD can retrieve material the better. I use DiskWarrior from time to time.
The question there is, will the slightly faster system ever save you as much time as it took to run the defrag utility?

The only data I've seen shows 99+% of fileson Macintoshes are not fragmented. How much time would you be willing to invest in making 1% of your files open faster?

(Note that this only applies to Panther and Tiger. Older OS versions didn't have automatic defragmenting.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Atleast a night ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.