Macbook Air completely dead - what to do?

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Air mid 2012 model. Yesterday when I tried to start it after not using it for one week it is completely dead. I don't remember if I put it to sleep or completely turned it off last time I used it, the battery was probably low at the time.
I have:
- tried to charge it. The LED on the charger turns orange but never turns green in spite of 24 hour charging
- changed the charger to a new one - same result
- performed a SMC reset - after I release the keys the LED turns briefly to green then back to orange
- opened the back and disconnected the battery (and reconnected - several times)
- then again performed a SMC reset, no change

So I have a completely dead Macbook Air with no warranty.

Anyone know what the next step should be?

Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would see if the Apple Store can run a diagnostic on it and most likely the battery is toast just my thought and if I am not mistaken they charge for the battery only if you buy from them or it could be case by case.

OP
R
Reaction score
Wouldn't it work when you disconnect the battery with the charger connected? I read that it would work without battery but at half processor speed. As of now nothing happens when I try to start it with battery disconnected or connected. So is only battery problem likely? Could it be a SSD problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's hard to say what happened to your MBA. It could be a combination of things that went wrong when the battery drained. It's best to take member osxx's advice and let Apple run diagnostics. If you take it to an Apple Store genius, there's usually no charge for the diagnostics.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.