• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Movie won't play in iTunes

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this, if this is the wrong place to post about this, please move it.
My iMac is 6 days old now, I just tried to download a movie via iTunes. It won't play. I tried my best searching for an answer, tried all that was suggested, but still no luck.

I have downloaded some apps from the app store, I guess my account authorisation is ok otherwise these wouldn't have worked (got the $1 account evaluation on my credit card)

The iMac i'm using has mavericks 10.9.4 installed and updated yesterday. Account with iTunes should be good to go. iMac is almost brand new.

The file download is still not fully compete, i expect it will take the better part of 1.5 hrs, its halfway and the first half took that long.

I got the "watch now or later" prompt and clicked watch later., but clicking the thumbnail in the library won't start it playing.

All i'm getting is a black screen. I can see thumbnails of the chapters.

I was hoping that supporting apple by paying $$, I would get what i wanted, given all the iTunes hype. Gotta admit, this is the first disappointment I've had, I feel its an iTunes fault, not an iMac fault, but i know very little.

I found some old tips that suggested flicking between the mini player and back, but that didn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't normally download movies from iTunes, but I believe you will not be able to watch the movie until the download is complete. The watch now or later refers to after the movie is downloaded not while the download is in progress.

C

chas_m

"Watch now" allows you to start watching a purchased or rented movie almost immediately -- you've told the computer that you want to watch the movie even as it is downloading, which it can do (but if the download is going slowly, you may see pauses).

Telling it "watch later" informs the computer that you will not be watching the movie until after it is completely downloaded, so that (in the case of a rental) your "countdown clock" doesn't start early. Wait for it to download and then it will play as expected.

OP
A
Reaction score
You are right chas_m, thats all it was. I think I was getting impatient.
Movie plays as expected, kids are happy now. I feel a little embarrassed now...

Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.