Corrupted HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB
Operating iMac, late 2009 1TB HD, 12GB Ram, OSX Maverick (up-to-date). I was verifying HD i(through Disk Utility) ntegrity due to seemingly slower performance, I received "Invalid directory item count" and "Volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired." Instructed to repair using Recovery HD. Instructed to restart computer while holding down keys C and R until i see Apple logo. Further instructed to choose Disk Utility when 0OSX Utilities widow appears. This window did not appear. Help please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Chances are that the drive is failing or has failed. Reboot and hold the OPTION key as soon as you see the Apple logo. After perhaps 10 seconds, you should get a list of available volumes to boot from. Do you see "Macintosh HD" and "Recovery HD" when you do? If not, what do you see?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
First, are you sure you actually booted into the Recovery partition? Normally you do that by holding down the Option key not C and R. If Your normal desktop pattern was appearing the Mac did not boot from the recovery partition. See this example

I see that you were verifying the disk nightly due to some performance issues. Were you getting directory errors nightly as well? If so that drive is probably failing. If you are able to get it functional back up your data immediately.

@LB Beat me to the punch again. I really have to type faster. lol

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To: lifeisabeach and Slydude,
Well done and THANK YOU! The problem is solved and I am running clean thanks to your easy-to-read instructions. Happy Holiday - hesper

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lifeisabeach and Slydude - Thanks to both of you! As a result of your easy-to-understand suggestions I am running clean and quick.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"Thank You thread" merged with original thread.

Thread also move to better sub-forum. Not a "Switcher Hangout" topic.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
lifeisabeach and Slydude - Thanks to both of you! As a result of your easy-to-understand suggestions I am running clean and quick.

You're Welcome. Glad to help.

Just out of curiosity, what seems to have been the problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.