MS Word Paragraph freezes document

Reaction score
In a Word document, when I try to use the Paragraph or Bullets & Numbering function, the document freezes and all of the options are grayed out. If I press Escape, the document is functional again but Format-Paragraph is not. I don't know what happened. Using Mavericks on a MacBook Pro
Help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does the same thing happen in other Word documents or just that particular one? If it's only that document, it's likely corrupt. If it's occurring in all Word documents then Word has become corrupt. The only cure for that is its removal and reinstallation.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for responding.

It does appear to happen in all Word documents. What would cause Word to become corrupted all of a sudden. And how do I reinstall it? Originally, I bought and downloaded MS Office for Mac. Now I have Office 11. Can I just download it again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the freezing is occurring in all your Word documents then you need to reinstall Word. If you purchased Mac Office 2011 as a download, you should still have the download image saved along with your product registration number. You will need both to reinstall Mac Office 2011.

You can not just reinstall Word, you have to entirely remove all of Office and reinstall. It's a real pain having to do it that way, but unfortunately the only way. Follow these Microsoft instructions to completely remove Office 2011.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks again, chscag. I followed the directions at the link you supplied, uninstalled MS Office and reinstalled it. It wasn't so bad - and it worked! Many thanks.

Lynne

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.