Winclone image on a new mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
My mac died on me.

I narrowed it down to an Air, or an iMac but I'll go with an iMac eventually.

What problems would drivers present? How would I fix this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
The win clone (Win. 8 image) has drivers installed for hardware that will be completely different from my computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My mac died on me.

I narrowed it down to an Air, or an iMac but I'll go with an iMac eventually.

This post is sort of confusing…since you are skipping some details.

But…if what you are saying is…you will be purchasing a new Mac soon…and you're wondering what sort of trouble there may be transferring a Win 8 image onto the new Mac you get.

My answer is…why not wait and see what Mac you eventually get…AND then try transferring the Win 8 image to that computer…and then see if there are any issues.

At this point we are discussing a potential eventuality that may never come to fruition.;) If & when we "cross this bridge"…then let's discuss it.:)

Just a suggestion,

- Nick

p.s. By the way…is this Win 8 image coming from your old Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Assuming you wish to copy your Boot Camp image using Winclone from your machine that died on to a new machine..... If that's right, it won't work. Different hardware will prevent Windows from working. You will need to download drivers from Apple and reinstall Windows. Also, Windows will have to be re-activated.

If my assumption above is wrong, just disregard this reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Assuming you wish to copy your Boot Camp image using Winclone from your machine that died on to a new machine..... If that's right, it won't work. Different hardware will prevent Windows from working. You will need to download drivers from Apple and reinstall Windows. Also, Windows will have to be re-activated.

If my assumption above is wrong, just disregard this reply.

I wonder if he'd be able to boot into Windows' Safe Mode and then apply Apple's Boot Camp drivers. Activation would still be an issue, I'd think.

EDIT: *smacks head* I totally forgot... I actually know this will work. I had to resort to this trick when I replaced my DVD drive in my iMac with an SSD a couple years ago. After reinstalling OS X, I tried to clean install Windows 7 but it wouldn't work off an external DVD drive. After trying everything in the book, I found that installing Windows on my model iMac simply won't work over USB... it's completely unsupported. I had to install it on my mother-in-law's MacBook Air; use WinClone to archive it; then moved the archive to my iMac and restored it. I forget what I had to do exactly after restoring it, but it seems I had to boot into Safe Mode (in Windows) to get the right drivers in place.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wonder if he'd be able to boot into Windows' Safe Mode and then apply Apple's Boot Camp drivers. Activation would still be an issue, I'd think.

You're probably right about doing it that way. I personally have never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you boot Windows to safe mode first and then install the new drivers. Activation will likely need to be done again but that's no big deal. It should activate again over the net without having to call the MS activation number.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I would not worry about it too much burnedfaceless.

Have never got Winclone to work properly yet, free or paid version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.