iOS/iPod backups on local machine

Reaction score
Where does iTunes store iOS/iPod backups on the Mac?

I backed up my iPod touch to both iCloud and local during a sync. The reason I backed up locally was because I'll be away from my desktop Mac and bringing along a MacBook when I get an iPhone, and I want to be able to have all of my stuff on the iPod immediately available on the iPhone - it is still possible to transfer iDevice backups from one iTunes library to another, right?

I won't have any internet access while away from home, so restoring from iCloud backup I don't think would be that great of an idea...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What you are asking is if you can restore an iPhone using an iPod backup? I just did some reading and while many people say it is possible to do so, one person who successfully did it said he'd periodically lose the ability to receive phone calls and wound up resetting it and setting it up from scratch. That may be unrelated though and a simpler reset of the network settings may have sufficed in his case (we had a similar problem with calls inexplicably going straight to voicemail here at home).

The best thing to do may be to set it up as a new device, but it will sync any compatible apps over. As for getting the backup of your iPod on the MacBook, that shouldn't be a problem. Connect your iPod to the MacBook and backup to that before leaving. Read over this thread to see if any of the tips provided may be of help:
Create iPhone backup on multiple computers - Mac OS X Hints

OP
C
Reaction score
What you are asking is if you can restore an iPhone using an iPod backup? I just did some reading and while many people say it is possible to do so, one person who successfully did it said he'd periodically lose the ability to receive phone calls and wound up resetting it and setting it up from scratch. That may be unrelated though and a simpler reset of the network settings may have sufficed in his case (we had a similar problem with calls inexplicably going straight to voicemail here at home).

The best thing to do may be to set it up as a new device, but it will sync any compatible apps over. As for getting the backup of your iPod on the MacBook, that shouldn't be a problem. Connect your iPod to the MacBook and backup to that before leaving. Read over this thread to see if any of the tips provided may be of help:
Create iPhone backup on multiple computers - Mac OS X Hints

Thanks. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.