Numbers update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS-X Yosemite iMac, 4GB memory, 2.4 GHz Intel Processor
Sometimes when I try to open Numbers '09 I get the message "You need a newer version of Numbers to open this spreadsheet". When I go to the App Store and go to update Numbers it merely says "installed" and does not seem to want to update to the latest version which I know I will have to pay for - but the App store seems to want to go no further with my request.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When I go to the App Store and go to update Numbers it merely says "installed" and does not seem to want to update to the latest version which I know I will have to pay for - but the App store seems to want to go no further with my request.

This isn't the way it works. An older version of an application does not get "updated" this way. For example…if you had Microsoft Office 2008…it doesn't get "updated" to Microsoft Office 2011. They are separate apps…which are purchased separately.

Thus…if you need/want the latest version of "Numbers"…it needs to be purchased.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The OP shouldn't get any update notice by just opening Numbers '09, and to need for a later version unless the spreadsheet is no doubt from a newer version that was double-clicked on that would display such a notice.

They may get a notification that a later version 3.x is available just opening Numbers '09, even if it's already installed and take them to the App Store, only to sometimes find it says "installed" if it is. Apple's new way I guess!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.