Safari unable to connect with facebook

Reaction score
I have just had my hard drive replaced in my mac book pro, a couple of days ago. But now im getting an error message saying : Safari cant establish a secure connection facebook.com. Please help!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check security settings from System Preferences, Security & Privacy (you didn't mention which version of OS X you're using) and make sure your Firewall is off. If it's on, click on the small lock at the bottom, enter your Admin password, and turn the Firewall off.

If that isn't the problem, try using another browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for that, but firewall is off. Im running OS X 10.8.3. It is only Facebook i cant get into.

Reaction score
How come Facebook randomly won't work on Safari?

Whenever I try to access Facebook on Safari, it says "Safari cannot establish a secure connection to the server". I've tried looking at my firewall, parental controls, deleted cookies. I've reset safari and my router. I downloaded google chrome, and Facebook works on there. It also works on the other computers in my house (using Safari). It's been like this for the past 3 days.

Reaction score
Same Problem

I'm having the same problem!

Whenever I try to access Facebook on Safari, it says "Safari cannot establish a secure connection to the server". I've tried looking at my firewall, parental controls, deleted cookies. I've reset safari and my router. I downloaded google chrome, and Facebook works on there. It also works on the other computers in my house (using Safari).

I don't want to just switch web browsers.. That doesn't fix the problem!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am wondering if an update to Safari is causing this with Facebook. I know for sure Mavericks Safari was updated the other day but not sure about other OSX versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for that, but firewall is off. Im running OS X 10.8.3. It is only Facebook i cant get into.

I'm wondering why you're still running OS X 10.8.3 and haven't run Software Update to update to 10.8.5??

Or even download and install: OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo)

It included some security and bug fixes as well as I recall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For mine Facebook just loads to a blank white page. Maybe this is all good!!!

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for all your feedback. I did have an update for Safari, which seems to have fixed the problem!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.