MacBook Keys No Longer Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Hello you guys,

It's been a while. Wish I were back on the site under better circumstances.

I have a refurb 2008 MacBook. I know...it's on the old side. However, it was a very good buy and (until now) has been an excellent replacement for my previous machine of the same model. I'm thinking I could probably get it to last through my first few years of college, and I think for my usage it should.

In any case, I opened this wonderful machine about an hour ago to discover that all of a sudden, various keys on the internal keyboard no longer work (I am using a USB one presently to type this). Those keys are: "p" key, colon and semicolon key, minus and underscore key, backslash and pipe key, forward slash and question mark key, and return key. This model also has an enter key on the right side next to the Apple/Cloverleaf key. I assume this is intended for the numpad. This does not work, even when the numlock has been activated.

Everything was normal and fine this morning. The machine has not been dropped, damaged, or abused in any way. There is a very minimal chance that someone tampered with it somehow while I was away at work, but it was in the same state as I left it when I woke it up this afternoon, and there's no reason that anyone would've needed to mess with it.

What steps can I take to troubleshoot and resolve this? Luckily, I use an external keyboard most of the time for ergonomic reasons right now, but when I go to college in the fall, I'll need the internal keyboard. Obviously, I can't function like this. I'd like to avoid replacing the entire keyboard if at all possible.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Obviously, I can't function like this. I'd like to avoid replacing the entire keyboard if at all possible.

With a machine that old, it's hard to say... but it sounds like pure keyboard fatigue and failure. (unless you spilled some liquid on it at one time or another). You're probably either going to have to replace the entire keyboard and ribbon or try removing the defective keys and cleaning the connectors. Removing keys on a KB that old will likely result in breaking them.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Hey chscag,

Thanks for the response. I'm looking into purchasing a replacement keyboard. Do you know where I can get instructions for doing the installation?

Also, on a slightly off-topic note, my webcam light is on for no apparent reason all of a sudden. I assume it's nothing to be worried about, but it did make me feel a little creeped out, so I covered the camera itself in case someone happens to be looking in at me. Is this any cause for concern, and is there a simple fix for that one? Are these two problems together (keyboard and webcam) behavior that indicates major problems and a need to immediately save important data?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Best place to purchase a keyboard (make sure it come with the cable and connector) is from eBay. Instructions for installation can be found at www.ifixit.com.

As for the camera, try a SMC reset: See the following Apple KB article for instructions: LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It seems odd that "Everything was normal and fine this morning...", so what happened in the interim??

Have you tried a restart or better yet a shutdown and try a Safe Boot mode. And even the suggested SMC reset may help. Maybe...???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a refurb 2008 MacBook.

"Refurbed" by whom? If not by Apple…then I seriously question what or how it was refurbed. The term "refurbed" is so abused by sellers. And I'm sure Apple isn't still refurbing 2008 MacBooks!;)

I think that this computer simply falls into the "used computer" category.;)

In any case, I opened this wonderful machine about an hour ago to discover that all of a sudden, various keys on the internal keyboard no longer work (I am using a USB one presently to type this).

Did you just get this computer…or have you had it for a while? If you've had it a while…how long has it been working fine (keyboard working fine)?

If the SMC Reset that chscag mentioned does fix things…it's possible that maybe the battery is swelling up. We have had folks posting from time to time about keyboard and/or trackpad problems…and sometimes it's due to a swollen battery.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.