Can't Delete File

Reaction score
I use a Seagate GoFlex Home NAS server for my backup as I have Windows PCs and Macs in the house and it works great for both.

About a year ago, my TimeMachineBackup.sparsebundle file became corrupted and Time Machine created a new one. Everything went fine and no data was lost however the old .sparsebundle file is still sitting in my Backup Folder on my NAS and I cannot delete it. I renamed it 'delete' so I new which file it was.

When I drill down in Terminal, it appears the problem is a file named "bf6c". Attached is a screenshot of the terminal window with the permissions - as seen, it has no group or world permissions.

I am in superuser. The parent directory is /Volumes/GoFlex Home Backup/

Is there a way to delete this file?

ScreenShot2014-07-01at12031PM.png

Reaction score
How exactly did you become 'superuser'? This is disabled by default.
Try this:
sudo rm -rf delete
Type in your log in password. You wont see it but it's taking it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Maybe it a simpler thing with access rights and/or the OS thinking that "File Sharing" may be enabled which can prevent any 'share' from being deleted. Just a goofy hunch...:D

OP
C
Reaction score
How exactly did you become 'superuser'? This is disabled by default.
Try this:
sudo rm -rf delete
Type in your log in password. You wont see it but it's taking it.

sudo su command for superuser

I tried sudo rm -rf delete and got the same results

OP
C
Reaction score
Maybe it a simpler thing with access rights and/or the OS thinking that "File Sharing" may be enabled which can prevent any 'share' from being deleted. Just a goofy hunch...:D

I thought this might be it too but wasn't sure how to fix it. Do you think a killall command could be the answer if I can isolate the process utilizing the file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't know but you could try this.

Download and install "Find Any File" and when launched, enter the filename you want to find and delete, but hold the Option key before hitting the Find button.

It should ask for admin username and then possibly allow it to be trashed, and done so immediately with a right-click or with one of its other options.

Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File
Download Find Any File for Mac - Search your disks for files using various criteria. MacUpdate.com

A must have application IMHO!!

Reaction score
Open Terminal > type "sudo rm " then drag the file into the terminal window and hit return. (note the space after rm)

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.