What interface should I use

Reaction score
I want to record vocals and guitar with Garage Band. What kind of interface do I need? I don't need anything elaborate. Just one that will let me plug a guitar or a microphone into it and be able to plug it into a MacBook Air's USB port and have it work with Garage Band. So it will have to have drivers that work with Mavericks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Since you can lay tracks in GarageBand, in my opinion this will work great for you. Your Mac will recognize and connect with it right away...no drivers to download. It has phantom power with on/off switch and a mini mixer. Also has a headphone jack for monitoring while tracking........Shure X2U.

ShureX2U.jpg

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you, Dogbreath. I had never heard of the Shure X2U before and would not have thought of something like that. It looks like a perfect solution for use with XLR mics.

Do you know of something comparable for a line in for guitar, or bass, or keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Again...The Shure X2U accepts an XLR mic cable from ANY mic, supplies phantom power (if needed) and will let you stack tracks in GarageBand while monitoring previously laid tracks via headphone...mini mixer included. All for around $100US.
And if monetary resources allow, there are many high end solutions as well...such as the Apogee Duet detailed above. Good stuff...loves Macs!

As for line in...a good DI box is always handy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.