Time Machine backups

Reaction score
hi,
I was wondering if someone could help me re above topic. I attempted to do my first TM backup today and foolishly changed the name of my backup drive on my desktop, so as to differentiate it from my other Lacie drive, in the middle of the backup. It stopped backing up so I had to go back in and select the now new named external hard drive and start it again. After that preamble what I want to know is it possible to delete the first attempt and the second backup from the newly named HD as I don`t think all was collected by the two attempts. My reason for saying this is that it stated 106GB to backup at the start but when it had finally completed after the two attempts only 93Gb has been used on the new named drive. Any advice or help you could give me would be much appreciated. Just so you know I have turned the next scheduled backup off meantime until I find out what to do next. Thanks, Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could just delete the backups and start all over again - fresh

OP
B
Reaction score
You could just delete the backups and start all over again - fresh

Hi,
Firstly thanks for replying so quickly..

I did not attempt to do that in case I may do more harm as I was not sure it could be done as easy as that seeing it was the first backup.
If you are sure then I will go ahead and give it a go.
Thanks,
Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Time machine should just see an empty drive, turn it back onto the new drive and it will just start from scratch

OP
B
Reaction score
Time machine should just see an empty drive, turn it back onto the new drive and it will just start from scratch

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
What I did was to delete all from the external drive which I inadvertently renamed during the first attempt and started again. All looks to be ok now as the total GB now copied over is as was first stated.
Thanks for your help.
Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.