Forwarding e-mails automatically but from a different e-mail address

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I recently changed provider. I continue to receive e-mails to the old address from which I am unable to send e-mails. As e-mails will soon cease to be delivered I would ideally like to set up an automatic reply to all incoming e-mails to that address.

Is there a way to do that without using the old e-mail address?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends what email application you are using, as this is different for Outlook, Thunderbird etc. Assuming you are using Mail see if this helps:-

MacScripter / Auto reply & redirect e-mail rules: both at same time?

Thanks. I am using Mail. The problem I have is that I can no longer send from my old e-mail address, only receive. I have looked through all the 'Rules' options but there isn't one that will alter the e-mail address from which the reply is to be sent.

I am sure that the Apple software guys could enable a rule to be added so that the reply to an e-mail could go from a different e-mail address instead of automatically going from the one to which the e-mail was addressed.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have got around to that yet.

M

MacInWin

Would it work to use the "Reply to Message" action, then put directions to use the new address in the text to be sent, then in the Account information for the about-to-quit address put your NEW outbound server as the SMTP? That way, the rule will trigger when you get something in the old, but the directions to shift to your new addy will go out the new.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MacInWin for the suggestion to change SMTP server which enables me to send from the old address.

It works because I sent from my wife's iMac to the old address and a reply has come back! However the reply message doesn't appear in my Sent mailbox.

My only worry is that, if somebody is away from their office and is sending out automatic messages presumably my outgoing message will automatically go out every time leading to a never ending loop!

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

Most out-of-office systems are now smart enough to reply with the "out" message only once to each recipient, so I would not worry about it. If you note one that doesn't (Lots of repeating emails in a short time frame), then kill the rule or write a new one that takes priority over the old to delete the dupe before the "respond" rule activates. It's complex and frankly I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unexpected side-effect

Most out-of-office systems are now smart enough to reply with the "out" message only once to each recipient, so I would not worry about it. If you note one that doesn't (Lots of repeating emails in a short time frame), then kill the rule or write a new one that takes priority over the old to delete the dupe before the "respond" rule activates. It's complex and frankly I wouldn't worry about it.

Just got home to find that an e-mail sent to the old address on 28 June has been automatically replied to. I intended that only new e-mails should be responded to. It wouldn't matter except that I use iCloud for personal e-mail and my ISP plusnet for commercial stuff.

I've set up the rule for Account and applied it to the old e-mail address. Should I instead have set it up for Any recipient instead and applied that to the old e-mail address. I'm slightly at sea here.

M

MacInWin

Just got home to find that an e-mail sent to the old address on 28 June has been automatically replied to. I intended that only new e-mails should be responded to. It wouldn't matter except that I use iCloud for personal e-mail and my ISP plusnet for commercial stuff.

I've set up the rule for Account and applied it to the old e-mail address. Should I instead have set it up for Any recipient instead and applied that to the old e-mail address. I'm slightly at sea here.
The only thing I can think of to cause that is that your mail provider re-sent that 28 June email again. It sounds like you have it right. Was it just that ONE email, and were there others that did NOT repeat? You might get a friend to test, outside you and your wife's accounts. PM me your email addy, I'll send something to you and I can be the "test dummy" for you. Don't put your email here, or it will be a spam target, just put in in a PM to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.