Will a Samsung 840 EVO ssd run okay with a windows partition?

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

Pretty much as the title suggests, just about to buy an SSD drive 500gb as my mac (13" macbook pro mid 2012) is starting to run slow.

Was going to buy a crucial mx100 but then after reading a few reviews on other sites came to the conclusion that the Samsung has a little more to give. The only thing I was concerned about was that I saw a random post somewhere from a guy saying the Samsung drive didn't respond well to a windows partition - I've just bought a copy of windows 8.1 64bit that's what I'll be looking to run, and so I wanted to check before buying whether there was any truth to the matter or not.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers - Jack :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry if this is considered software not hardware in section placement, I was just thinking about it on the basis of the harddrive but then as I was looking through my post I realised maybe this is more of a software issue - imho I think it's middleground but oh well xD

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't have an answer for you yet. More of a follow-up question/comment. I assume that you would like to have both OS X and Windows on that drive. I wonder if that won't get a bit crowded by the time you allow for applications as well as some free space on both partitions for the swap files created.

Then again perhaps you are not the digital pack rat I am and will only be using a few apps.

OP
B
Reaction score
yeah both windows and os x, haha no actually i'm quite a clean user..keep very few files on my main drive mostly on externals - i currently have the standard 500gb drive that came with my macbook and am only using 100gb including everything which i don't think is very much considering

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Crucial make great stuff and do not take too much notice of what you read on the 'net. The only folk who post are those having problems. For what it is worth, I have used OWC, Toshiba, OCZ Vertex, Kingston Now and G.Skill Falcon SSDs. SSDs, being electronic, can still fail, so you pays your buck and takes your chances. Do not buy OEM products which sometimes have a limited warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.