Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not Mavericks but as other suggest something not compatible. Have you tried operating in Safe Mode?

Reaction score
I have a 2010 11" MBA with 2GB RAM. With 10.9.4 there is a definite increase in the speed.

Reaction score
Bought a new Nikon camera and had to upgrade my OS from 10.6.8 to 10.9.4. Took 7 hours to download and install. Whew! I'm not very "techy" and find some of the new email changes are more cluttered and complicated. For example the old system had an icon for a " quick look" at any attachment, a very easy access. The 9.4 version seems to have deleted it, or I'm not finding it. The autofill from the address book seems way more cumbersome than the 6.8 version. Thanks for other reflections on this forum. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks all for your interest.
This situation has been on-going for some time. Apple have been involved via their support people.
I have re-installed Mavericks on at least 3 different occasions. Deleted accounts and added new accounts. Putting my "3rd party software' back, item by item.
I am about to give up again with using the sleep function.
Who knows. Perhaps Yosemite will be the panacea.
I am pretty sure I haven't reached the point of going back to Windows - yet.

If you are having a problem with a clean install of Mavericks (or indeed any other OS version), then my strongest suspicion would be a hardware issue. I would recommend running the Apple Hardware Test, then stress testing your RAM with Rember. You also need to make sure you have no 3rd party devices attached to your Mac that may be the problem. I had one with a bluetooth headset plugged in that was preventing my Mac from booting. As it turned out, the headset was defective and the Mac was trying to boot off it. Dead serious on this. So yes... eliminate EVERYTHING that's connected as a possible culprit.

X

xairbusdriver

the old system had an icon for a " quick look" at any attachment, a very easy access. The 9.4 version seems to have deleted it
I never knew there was any menu item for it! :Blushing: I always just pressed the space bar when I wanted to take a Quick Look of anything. However I notice that both PathFinder and Finder (which I seldom use) use the same keyboard shortcut for it: command-Y.

You might want to check to see if "Simple Finder" is enabled. System Prefs->Users & Groups->Enable Parental Controls

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rmbp 2.6 GHz i5 8GB Iris Graphics, late 2013
Sorry to be negative but does anyone know if this update fixes anything in particular?
I don't think I am alone with many others who have had a "not so good experience" with 10.9.3.

I have a 13' mbp retina, 8GB, 2.6GHZ bought abut 3 months ago. It has had a continual problem when waking from sleep or booting up of having disconnected from wifi. After several attempts to fix this by Apple support, it seemed that bluetooth was the culprit. This problem seems to have been pretty widespread. Apple support took an analysis of my system and after installing the latest update the wifi connection now works as it should, so it certainly fixed that. As you would expect, otherwise why would they go to the trouble of issuing an update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
What if you shut it down,instead of putting it in sleep mode, does the problem go away when you turn it on? Have you tried reinstalling the OS?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.