Internet sharing between a Mac and PC

C

charles

So, I've got a 300mhz G3 PowerMac running OS 10.3.3 in my room and I've got a P4 3.2ghz running Windows XP Pro here in this room. I've got a hub and plenty of ethernet cable. I've plugged the cable modem into the hub, then my XP machine and the Mac into the hub. The PC can get online, but the Mac can't. Can anyone help me get the Mac online?

OP
K

Kokopelli

There are 3 possibilities that leap to mind. The first is you are restricted to a single IP at a time. The second is that the cable modem is looking for a hostname, domain, or MAC address. The final is that the Mac is not getting an address due to a configuration issue or bad cable.

The most likely way to solve this problem is to get a router and get that properly configured.

EDIT: Open up the network preference pane and show Network status. Does your ethernet show up and is it listed as connected? That would probably be a good first step to try.

OP
C

charles

I have a router that I can use, but I can never get the ports correctly forwarded because I use bit torrent a lot so I just don't use the router. I guess I could try it, though. Thanks for the suggestions :)

OP
K

Kokopelli

Unless you are Torrenting from both, just set one to be your "DMZ" server. That should solve that problem. I usually would discourage setting a DMZ server but it is no worse than leaving it bare on the cable modem.

OP
C

charles

Great, now I can't find the setup disk for my router. :grumpy:

Anyway, I did what you said and it said that it wasn't connected so I clicked on "Assist me." It then said that the ethernet cable was connected, but I didn't have an IP address so I could not connect to the internet. Now it is asking me to input subnet/IP etc...

What now? How do I get this information? I'm sure my IP for the Mac would 192.168.1.2(00), right?

EDIT: On another forum I visit, they said that it won't work because I'm using a switch and not a router...

If that's true, does anyone know where I can get the files to set up my Linksys wireless B router (model BEFW11S4)

OP
K

Kokopelli

If you are connecting directly to the Cable modem (or through a hub) it means that the cable modem is not giving your Mac a address. The address would be 192.168.1.*** if you were behind a router but not if you are connecting directly.

This reinforces the opinion that either the cable company is restricting the # of simultaneous connections or that the mac needs to supply a domain. The former is the most likely and the router is the easiest way to correct either. Honestly we might be able to get it to work without the router but it would take a lot of guesswork and time to do from here.

If you have not changed anything on the router, plug it in and plug the mac into it. The Mac should get an address of 192.168.*.*** likely either 192.168.0.*** or 192.168.1.***. Whichever it is you can in all likelihood reach the configuration by going to 192.168.*.1, replacing the * with the appropriate number. If it is a linksys router and you have not reset the password it will be "Admin" "admin" for user name and password. If it is netgear it is probably "Admin" "password"

For anything else go here: http://www.cirt.net/cgi-bin/passwd.pl

If you changed the password use whatever you changed it to. I am heading out in a min so I would not wait on me to reply again by the way. Sorry, I should be online in an hour or two though.

OP
C

charles

Thanks for the help. I'm also heading out right now (church) and I'll also be back in a few hours.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Ok, by the way for the BEFW11S4 router the default is an empty user name and a password of admin. (cirt.net is great for this stuff.)

OP
C

charles

Well, I got my router working. :) I am posting this message from my Mac. Thanks for all the help! :D I guess I'll be seeing you around other parts of the forums now. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.