Can't Access eBay Via Router - All Other Sites Work - Trace Route Timeout with Router

4:3

Reaction score
Over the last 3-4 days I have been unable to access eBay, but all other sites work with my wired Cisco BEFSR41 router plugged. If I unplug the router and plug the internet ethernet cable directly into my Mac running 10.9.2 I am able to access ebay.

With the router plugged in:

1. Not an issue with upgrade to 10.9.2 as it has worked since 10.9.2 was released.
2. Reset browser - clearing cache, history, cookies.
3. Restarted Mac.
4. Tried both Firefox and Safari.
5. Pressed reset button on router.
6. Accessed router settings via a browser interface and reset to factory default.
7. Unplugged router for a time.
8. Turned off firewall on the Mac
9. Disabled "block all incoming connections" under firewall options.
10. There are no sites blocked with parental controls or other software.
11. Talked to ebay.
12. Talked to isp tech help - they thought it might be the router as they had me remove it and plug the internet cable directly into the Mac - which works.
13. Ran trace route on ebay, which I gave to my isp's tech help, but they did not have any suggestions other than to contact customer service at my isp (who probably don't know anything about the tech side of the issue)

Trace Route with router plugged in:

1 0 0 0 129.250.202.253 xe-0-4-0-12.r01.dllstx04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
2 29 26 52 129.250.8.238 ae-0.att.dllstx04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
3 40 49 49 12.123.16.78 cr2.dlstx.ip.att.net
4 46 46 49 12.122.31.90 cr2.dvmco.ip.att.net
5 46 42 41 12.123.38.141 -
6 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
7 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
8 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
9 Timed out Timed out Timed out

I don't really want to get a different router as I also use legacy Macs running 10.4 and up and any newer routers will likely not work. I do not want to use a wireless connection due it not working with the older Macs and for security reasons.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try another router. Also... most routers have internal settings that can be setup to block certain IP addresses, have you ascertained that your router is not blocking the eBay IP address? In any event, you need to try using another router to narrow down the problem. Since you can get on eBay direct, the problem has to be with your router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I don't really want to get a different router as I also use legacy Macs running 10.4 and up and any newer routers will likely not work. I do not want to use a wireless connection due it not working with the older Macs and for security reasons.

I don't agree with that - ethernet IPv4 is still supported in modern routers.

Don't forget to try changing Domain Name Servers (DNS) in your router setup or your Network prefs on Macs.

8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 are publicly-available servers (Google)

OP

Reaction score
"Try another router. Also... most routers have internal settings that can be setup to block certain IP addresses, have you ascertained that your router is not blocking the eBay IP address? In any event, you need to try using another router to narrow down the problem. Since you can get on eBay direct, the problem has to be with your router. "

Thanks for the input.

1. There are no blocked ip addresses in the router. The router has been reset to the factory settings several times.

2. If I connect to ebay using a web proxy I can access ebay. I can't sign into my account as that's not allowed with this particular web proxy.

3. If I disconnect the router I can access ebay and sign in.

4. With the router connected the router's address is being blocked by at&t, always with the same server owned by them.

5. I've also change the dns servers per instructions from my isp.

6. I called at&t and they gave me the run around. Two times they said they would check on it, yet they never requested the offending ip addresses, thus there is no way they could check on it. In fact the second time I called, when I attempted to give them the ip number they repeatedly interrupted me so I could not verbally communicate the number to them. They then wanted to sell me their tech help service for money. The problem with that is that I am not their customer and they are not my isp provider.

Last edited:
OP

Reaction score
I don't agree with that - ethernet IPv4 is still supported in modern routers.

The problem with new routers is that they are almost wireless - my older PPC Macs do not have built-in wireless. Even if they did have wireless I would not want to use such a connection for security issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem with new routers is that they are almost wireless - my older PPC Macs do not have built-in wireless. Even if they did have wireless I would not want to use such a connection for security issues.

Unless you're involved in some high secret security work, a wireless router is secure provided you use the proper level of encryption. (WPA2 for example.) However, since you're using old technology and your Macs do not have an installed airport card, you're limited to ethernet only.

Also, I'm not sure I understand what AT&T has to do with your problem since you say they're not your ISP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.