Invisible disc in dvd slot

Reaction score
I have a mid 2009 17" macbook pro with latest MacOS.
When I try to insert a dvd in the slot it won't go in, but gets resistance similar to as if there was a disc in there already. However, I'm am pretty sure there is no disc in there. I have no memory of inserting one and it doesn't appear on neither the side panel nor in disc utilities. I have tried all eject methods incl rebooting. I even tried opening dvd player.
Anybody recognize this? Is there another way to check if there actually is a disc in there without taking the machine apart?

Anders

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to turn the machine on its side and hold the slot open (you can use most anything - but make sure it doesn't go inside); then shine a flashlight into the slot. If you still can't see anything, you may have to take the drive out as it may be defective or there's something stuck inside.

Removal instructions can be found at www.ifixit.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.