new imac, having a "select all" problem...

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

On the new imac, say I want to open a file and select all of its contents, then I want to "get info". I'm having a difficult time figuring this out: At times, I can select "get info" and _one_ box pops up and represents all the selected files. This allows me to change the "open with" function of each selected file with one click. However, at other times, I select multiple files, click "get info" and each individual file gets a window and I have to change the "open with" command for each individual file. Very time consuming. I can't figure out how make each way of doing it my choice. The computer seems to decide for me which way it will work. Very frustrating. Does anyone know how to make it work one way or the other?

I hope this makes sense.

I'm not sure how to control it to work one way or the other. It seems totally random.

-Oh, if this helps, when I get multiple windows opening (second scenerio) each file has a blue highlight, when I get one window opening (first scenerio), there is only a blue box surrounding all the selected files. I just can't seem to be able to control which way it goes.

Thanks for any help

mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.