Bootable PCIe drive in 3,1 Mac Pro

Reaction score
Works well if I option the drive during start, but does not remain the bot drive no matter what in system preferences. Is there a trick to make that happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

In Bay One by default?

OP
C
Reaction score
Title wasn't clear enough. I installed it using a PCI Express card, so it's not on the SATA buss. Supposed to be faster that way, and it was. Will look back for the disk speed results, but it was significantly faster.
Hmm, maybe if will mount another SSD on the sata buss for a direct comparison if anyone is interested.
It works great using the Option key on restart but I know there will be days I forget to do that and it will screw some project up royally. Hmmm, maybe store everything in the cloud that I'm working on, maybe will prevent that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay.

Had tried the PCI-E e-Sata route in Mac Pro days but never got it working satisfactorily and always found an OWC SSD to be the fastest. And alas there is no way around that boot with Option thing!

OP
C
Reaction score
OWC SSD superb no doubt!

But it was maybe a bit above my budget, never mind the extra cost of shipping it here.
Maybe next time I get upgrade money!
Thanks for reply!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry don't know where 'here' is, but take my word buying from OWC and mailing top rates to Australia still far better than buying locally. Same applies to the UK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.