Weirdest connection problem ever...

Reaction score
So, I have a D-Link DIR-655 Rev. B (2.11NA) that I've used for a couple years now. We just moved to a new house and had our internet transferred. All the settings are the same, the only difference is that we're at a new house.

Here's the weird part.

Every computer in the house can connect to any site, except the Macbook pro. In fact, the macbook pro can connect to anything but Netflix and YouTube. No other computer has problems. On top of that, the same Macbook pro can connect to netflix and youtube if we switch to Win8.

Flushed the DNS. No dice.
Manually input IP and DNS. No bueno.
I deleted all the saved WiFi passwords and started over. Nothing.
I completely deleted the network settings folder in OSX so it had to be rebuilt. No improvement.

Reset router. Fixed... for a little while.

Again, no other computer in the house has this problem. Just the mac, and only when in OSX.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm truly stumped on this one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm open to suggestions. I'm truly stumped on this one.

Seems like you tried many things to resolve the problem with no joy. Have you tried switching browsers? You didn't mention which browser you're using but give some others a go to see if you have the same problem.

Also, I believe NetFlix and YouTube rely on other software in order to work properly. Make sure your Flash is up to date for example. You might also check with NetFlix from Windows 8 or one of your other computers to see what their requirements are. You may be missing a plug in.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you are onto something there. If other sites are accessible and those two aren't missing/incorrect plugins may be the answer.

@OP What exactly happens when you try to connect to these two sites? In YouTube for example can you get to the site and have everything on the page load except videos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
That's a good question, Slydude.

I had to install Silverlight to watch Netflix on my Macbooks..
But before I installed it, I could still connect to the site, (could not watch content, though).

If you can't connect to the site at all (yet all else is working), I'd follow chscag's advice and try out different browsers? I can't imagine plug-ins being responsible for this? Surely you would still reach the site and receive some error message (usually advising you to install xyzplug-in etc?)

Good luck. CB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.