How to lower the Gong startup sound

Reaction score
Hello All'
This is my first post and my question is how do I lower the volume of the start up GONG in OS 10.9?
It disturbs the family when I fire it up late at night.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
All you should need to do is to either hit the Mute button F10 before you close down or use the Volume Down button F11 to lower the sound to a level that would not disrupt the family :)

There are ways to turn it off altogether, but they are risky and then it won't sound which is there to let you know your system is all ok and good to go, once finished starting up. . .

OP
P
Reaction score
How do I lower the Gong startup sound

I tried holding the F10 key as suggested, however this does not work.
Does anyone else have an idea?
My computer is an IMac 27" if that helps.
Will there be a way to lower the volume in Yosemite when it arrives in the fall?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried holding the F10 key as suggested, however this does not work.

Just lower the volume control real low before you shut down or restart. Whatever setting the volume control is set at will reflect in the noise level of the startup sound.

If you wish to turn it off all together, download the free "StartNinja" utility from here and install it. You can always turn it back on again using the same utility. It works. I also have a 27" iMac and use it sometimes.

Reaction score
Hello All'
This is my first post and my question is how do I lower the volume of the start up GONG in OS 10.9?
Thanks

One way to reduce the problem would be not to turn off your iMac. A large number of users simply leave their iMacs on for days or even months. The energy consumption is negligible and leaving it on probably causes less wear and tear than the thermal and mechanical shock of constantly powering up and down.

Reaction score
Hello All'
Thanks
am using 10.10 beta and would also like to turn mute on permanently. in earlier version of OS i accomplished it with auto-mute. that no longer works in OS10.10 neither does startNinja. please don't get impression I'm a techie. am not, just an old guy wanting to keep peace in the family. any and all suggestions appreciated. thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
one way to reduce the problem would be not to turn off your imac. A large number of users simply leave their imacs on for days or even months. The energy consumption is negligible and leaving it on probably causes less wear and tear than the thermal and mechanical shock of constantly powering up and down.

+1!!! ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
am using 10.10 beta and would also like to turn mute on permanently. in earlier version of OS i accomplished it with auto-mute. that no longer works in OS10.10 neither does startNinja. please don't get impression I'm a techie. am not, just an old guy wanting to keep peace in the family. any and all suggestions appreciated. thx

I didn't think this had changed in the beta. Hadn't really noticed since I don't reboot my machine often.

I doubt Apple changes the startup sound, or the way it operates any time soon. That sound is an indication that your Mac has passed certain basic hardware checks. Hearing other sounds, such as breaking glass, can suggest certain hardware problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I reboot my machine - whenever a Software Update or Upgrade demands it.

Otherwise leave it run.

Reaction score
If you use external speakers you might notice the sound still comes from the internal ones.
Open System Preferences/Sound, unplug the externals and turn volume way down. Or even off.
Plug the externals back in. Their volume hasn't changed but the boot sound is much lower.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.