• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Say goodbye to Aperture, Apple announces they won't continue to develop Aperture !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sad sad day for this people that have invested heavily into the Aperture DAM for the Pro Photography App.

Apple kicks Aperture (and iPhoto) to the curb; are we ready for Photos? | iMore

“With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture. When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS X.” — Apple, Inc.

BUT all is not lost. Here is a great article written by Joseph of Aperture Expert | Aperture is Dead. Long Live Photos!

Your thoughts ??

Reaction score
I am just an amateur with several thousand precious lifetime family photos. When I moved to Apple from Windows I took the plunge and went with Aperture, using Aperture's library and my own project/album structure. So this news today really got my attention. Relieved to see that Yosemite will support Aperture while I carefully evaluate the options and watch how the migration pathway tests out, but I am uneasy.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks for the article, Brent. Will read it after my coffee kicks in.

Have to admit, I was a bit put out when I saw the announcement, even though I've switched primarily to Lightroom. Many things I find easier to do in Aperture (probably because I'm more familiar with it).
Hopefully it all turns out for the best. :)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea Mike, I think we are going to be OK. I think Apple know the importance of a good DAM for the Apple Pro, because they have been doing well with Aperture, and to be totally honest, I think they know they are shooting themselves in the foot IF they don't apply most of the Editing tools Aperture had, because it sits at #4 os the highest grossing in the US App Store.

We won't be left in the dark IMHO. The thing I loved about Aperture is the File/folder structure it had. 200% better than LR and one of the reasons I stayed with it, although I do have the Photoshop photography Program @$9.99 a mth . .

From the screen shots, it looks like "Photos" App is pretty slick, and has the same drop downs as Aperture, but I know they like holding their cards to their chest, and won't show much until release.

It has to be something special, or they would of show cased it at WWDC, but because they don't want others to get any ideas, they are waiting IMHO

Reaction score
Oh, I just bought Aperture this year... Oh well...

I suppose we will be able to have a file structure again and store the pictures locally? Not sure if I want speedo pictures of myself on Apple servers.

I was still beginning to learn Aperture, was going to invest in Nik software a week ago...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Aperture isn't going to quit working, so you can still use it, and surely the new Photos APP will allow you to opt out on cloud storage. Will have to wait and see.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Aperture isn't going to quit working, so you can still use it,

And neither is iPhoto going to quit working. When the new Photos app is installed, iPhoto will be relagated to its own folder just as the previous versions of iWork apps, iMovie, and GarageBand were.

Reaction score
Hello

Got Aperture and Lightroom for years.
Now I use a lot ... ONONE Perfect Photo suite ... what a delight.
Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.