Just did it!

Reaction score
After 30+ years with PCs, I was given a non-working iMac. Decided the hd was at fault and replaced it following the instruction online. It's now up and running. Hooray! I've noticed that my iMac, (early 2009 24") runs really hot. Checking the sensors I find that the power supply is running at 176 degrees F. Logic board at 126F and the Northbridge chip and heat sink are at 165 & 156F. Just wondering whether this is considered normal. Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To me…those temps would be ok if you were using a Apple laptop…but they do seem a bit high on an iMac. Of course if you are gaming, watching a lot of internet video, or some video rendering…this could at least partially explain higher temps.

But if you are not doing anything special (just e-mail, internet webpage browsing)…then these temps seem high for an iMac.

I think that I would verify that all of the fans are operational…and give the inside a good cleaning (compressed air).

- Nick

p.s. The logic board temp is probably ok…it's the other temps that seem high.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After 30+ years with PCs, I was given a non-working iMac. Decided the hd was at fault and replaced it following the instruction online. It's now up and running. Hooray! I've noticed that my iMac, (early 2009 24") runs really hot. Checking the sensors I find that the power supply is running at 176 degrees F. Logic board at 126F and the Northbridge chip and heat sink are at 165 & 156F. Just wondering whether this is considered normal. Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Those temps do seem a bit high for an iMac. Your iMac should have three fans: CPU, Hard Drive, and Optical Drive. Make sure all three fans are running and that they ramp up (higher rpm) when the temps rise.

Clean the intake vents at the bottom of the display and also the exhaust vents at the top - making sure they're not plugged with dust, dirt, animal hair, etc.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks all for the speedy replies. Having just replaced the hd, I'm not all that anxious to go inside again.But will do so if expert opinion thinks it's necessary. (Although I don't want to see caps explode or worse.) Would you consider the temps listed as "dangerously high". Just normal internet browsing, not gaming or retouching images when temp were shown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Congratulations on your "switch" and your iMac restoration fix.

Those temps are within max limits but are a bit on the high side for my liking, especially if there's no heavy use.

I found I needed to use an appropriate "fan control" for those and earlier aluminum iMacs (the white plastic caseiMacs were even worse) and I gather that all sensors were reattached correctly.

Maybe check out:
Diagnosing 2009 & 2010 iMac Fan Speed Issues After Upgrading The Main Hard Drive | Other World Computing Blog

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
R
Reaction score
Many thanks for the information and the terrific support. I did replace the hd with a Toshiba 2T drive and I replaced the sensor correctly. Now going to check the link above and will post back shortly. Thx all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What app are you using to get those temps? I would use C instead of F BTW as most like me know temps in Centigrade better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Actually almost every program I have ever used on PC's and Macs for he last 15-20 years defaulted to Centigrade. Most Temp readings are quoted that way also. I am not used to see F used for computer temps and I have been around on all the large support forums for many years and a long time computer tech! :D Grin

Otherwise I would agree with you on C Vs F. I have had many joking wars here on the forums about the two with our Canadian members! :D

OP
R
Reaction score
Now using iStat/Menu and the numbers reported are somewhat lower. I'm accepting them as normal. I totally respect those with a greater knowledge as I've just switched,(and loving it!) but as for temperature readouts I'm going to stay with the big "F". Btw, I've just added a powered usb hub as I will be using 3- printers, Wacom tablet, external hd, external optical drive, BT keyboard and mouse; though not all at the same time...

As always, I appreciate all the kind help at this forum. Thx loads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Winter Down under and my iMac reads:-

Ambient 9º, HD and CPU 19º and Power Supplyº, all of course in ºC.

Wouldn't mind things being warmer all round!

OP
R
Reaction score
Days here lately have been sunny with white puffy clouds. Temps in the upper 70s and lower 80s, all of course in degrees F. My aluminum iMac is running like a Swiss watch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.