Thunderbolt To Macbook Air Query

Reaction score
I have a 6TB Thunderbolt external device that i had with my iMac 27' - i no longer have the iMac instead i have a Macbook Air 11' Late 2010 which doesn't have a Thunderbolt port, only USB x2 and a mini display port

I have tried the Thunderbolt device/cable in the mini display port but nothing loads

Can anyone help on pointing me in the direction of a device/adaptor that will allow my Thunderbolt device to connect to the Macbook Air?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can anyone help on pointing me in the direction of a device/adaptor that will allow my Thunderbolt device to connect to the Macbook Air?

Thunderbolt is backward compatible with MiniDisplay Port, however, I don't believe it works the other way. In other words you can't adapt a MDP output to a thunderbolt device. You would need a TB output on your MacBook Air in order for it to work. Buy a new MacBook Air and that will resolve your problem. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't believe there is anything that will permit you to do what you want.

Displayport is a video port - it is not a data port - the keyword here is "display" - specifically, it is a "video output" port - you definitely are not going to be able to use a displayport on a computer from a TB, FW, or USB external device.

I'd have to suggest you pop the drives out of the TB case and put them into a USB case to use them with that computer. And that's going to be a problem if it's some type of RAID device and you don't want to lose the data on those drives.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've seen rumors that something is in development from one of the dock/adapter manufacturers but no indication of when it will be available. Theres lots of stuff to give thunderbolt-equipped Macs various ports but that does not help your situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As you don't want to "Buy a new MacBook Air and that will resolve your problem", (makes sense to me ;-) ) , what about just removing the drive and install it in a USB enclosure, assuming that the Thunderbolt external device contains a 6TB hard drive.

A USB enclosure would probably be cheaper than any adapter even if one did exist as the makers have to pay Apple their TB royalties which aren't cheap!! Oh yes, and add manufacturing permissions etc. I's say it ain't gonna happen!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@pm-r

I thought that's what bobtomay said (above). ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yikes!!! Am I getting that blind that I missed that.

Sorry.

Well, at least the suggestion got reinforced. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.