missing folders

Reaction score
folders that were on dock are missing and finder can't locate them. There is a "?" where the folders were on the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Then the folders are gone. Restore them from your backup.

M

MacInWin

Or, you moved them to someplace other than where the were when you first put them on the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I just moved a folder (which I created) to a different enclosing folder and the "link" in the Dock still worked. I did not Restart.

OP
K
Reaction score
The folders are just gone. Not deleted. Not is waste basket. This has happened twice. Folders contained photos. Searched all my files no luck.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where were the folders located on the Dock? Folders go on the right side of the Dock and are actually aliases not the real folders per se. Removing a folder from the Dock does not delete the folder unless you purposely removed the real folder from your "Home" location or the side bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The folders are just gone. Not deleted. Not is waste basket. This has happened twice. Folders contained photos. Searched all my files no luck.

It is impossible for a folder to disappear on its own. If these folders are gone, a user deleted them. The Dock icons turning to question marks indicate that the real folders cannot be found. If you've also searched the entire hard drive and come up empty, this just confirms what that Dock icon is telling you. They're gone; deleted somehow by someone. Your only recourse is to restore them from your backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.