Unable to launch Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi Sharon.

A little more info if you could please ?

What Mac do you have ?
What OS is running on the Mac ?
What version Safari have you got ? Is it up to date ?
Have you installed anything recently like a 3rd Party App ? Are you running a Anti Virus ??

If you can answer these then we can follow up and give some recommendations.

Cheers

Oh and welcome to the forums :)

OP
S
Reaction score
I have just a MacBook. I am using Mac OSX Lion Version 10.7.5. I cannot get into the Safari task bar to find out which version it is. When I move my cursor upon the bar on top the colored wheel just keeps spinning and nothing will open.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try restarting your machine and then resetting Safari? Keep in mind that resetting Safari will wipe out your Favcons (small bookmark icons) for the sites you visit. But it will remove history and empty the cache which may be what's preventing Safari from running properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Safari? Keep in mind that resetting Safari will wipe out your Favcons (small bookmark icons) for the sites you visit. But it will remove history and empty the cache which may be what's preventing Safari from running properly.

She can't get into Safari to open it Charlie to then do a reset yet.

Try this Sharon, open up Finder then use this Keyboard Shortcut Shift⇧ + Command⌘ + G and in the drop down window copy and past this into it
Code:
~/Library/Preferences
and hit Return.
Then in that Window look for this file
Code:
com.apple.Safari.plist
and drag it to your Desktop. Now try and open Safari. Doing this (dragging to desktop) will take it out of the current Safari State and when you try and open it again, it will make a new one. If Safari open, good, go on with your life, but if Safari still hangs, then drag the .plist back to that folder, click replace, and then restart your Mac, holding down ⌘ + R key which will boot to the recovery partition..

Then in the Top Menu Bar, select Utilities, then Disk Utility open it. Select your HD in the Left column, First Aid up the top, then Repair Disk Permissions down the bottom. When its finished, restart your MB and try Safari.
Still no good come back and let us know . . . .

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.