• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sunglasses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
OK, it's a bit juvenile. But I finally got LASIK surgery, and for the first time in 35 years I don't have to wear prescription sunglasses. Anyhow, I drive a Jeep Wrangler and have a pair of cheapos in there since people like to steal stuff when the top is off. However, I treated myself to a nice pair of Oakleys since they were "free" with the surgery. Not my normal style for sure (more of a Wayfarer type guy here), but what the heck. What sunglasses do you Mac-Forumites like?

Oakley Half Jack 2.0 XL

f_6753a_1.1.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OK, it's a bit juvenile. But I finally got LASIK surgery, and for the first time in 35 years I don't have to wear prescription sunglasses.

Nothing juvenile about LASIK. Congrats on doing it!:)

How long has to been since the surgery…and how is the recovery going?

My wife has been thinking about LASIK for years. Maybe one of these days.

However, I treated myself to a nice pair of Oakleys since they were "free" with the surgery.

If the sunglasses were free…is that really treating yourself??;) I'm sure you paid for them. Pretty sure their cost got "squeezed" into the LASIK charges somehow!;)

What sunglasses do you Mac-Forumites like?

I'm not too picky...I like free!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im the sort of person that can't go outside without sunnies on my head. If I do, I squint and before I know it, I have a migraine coming on.
As to what I have, I have a spare pair of cheap's in both cars, incase I loose a pair when I'm out and about, because I wouldn't be able to get home.

When I was driving for a living, I had a pair of Rayban Aviators for driving, because in the day, they held out the sun glare and night time, I could wear them as well if needed for a brighter vision . . . . And driving 6000 Kms a week, anything to make it easier on the eyes.
At home I have a pair of Rayban Wayfarers a pair of Oakley Pit Bulls. . . . .
68hDYWX.jpg

I have a wide head, so there are only certain frame styles that suit head and don't look too small on my noggin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yikes!!! "... And driving 6000 Kms a week..."

No wonder your stat says "Waiting for a mate " - they can't catch up to you and you need to stay put for a bit!! Good shades or not. ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yikes!!! "... And driving 6000 Kms a week..."

The life of a Long Haul Truckie with 62.6T under my seat avg. 30hrs sleep a week not something I would recommend :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Nothing as funky as Oakley ;) - these are for everyday use:

IMG_0736-small_zps0a1bd1d8.jpg~original

and I also have a pair of very fancy, high spec, varifocals for driving, so the speedo and satnav are as clear as the road ahead, and no glare from either sun or street / car lights, day or night ... great stuff, though they don't look anything special ... I keep them in the car, but not in plain sight ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Also can't go out without sunglasses - can't keep my sunglasses in the car or I might not find the car...

Have been wearing Ray-Ban Aviators for nigh on to 40 years I guess.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can't bear to spend big money on sunglasses as I've broken so many pairs. I bought these right before we went to Hawaii and I love them. Comfortable, fit well and don't slide off (even in a Mustang convertible :) ).

00000363.png

They're made by Hobie - the model is called "Cabo". I think I paid like $50 on Amazon. Highly recommended.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I wear prescription sunglasses, as I can't find my glasses (really) without my glasses.

Been thinking about LASIK for years, only one thing holding me back is near vision. Been wearing bifocals for 15 years, but if I really need to do close work I can pop off my glasses (I'm nearsighted) and all is good.
I'm afraid I'll lose that ability it I have LASIK done and have to rely on what bifocals will give me for close up stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Ray-Ban 's for as long as I can remember.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I got my LASIK done about 14 or so years ago and freaked out by purchasing a ton of cheap sunglasses that all either broke or where misplaced..

I got my Maui Jim **'okipa about 5 years ago and they've lasted quite nicely. They are so ridiculously light that I forget I have them on sometimes and the glare protection is amazing..

Maui-Jim-Hookipa-MJ-Sport-Sunglasses-0.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought these right before we went to Hawaii and I love them. Comfortable, fit well and don't slide off (even in a Mustang convertible :) ).

The only way to vacation in Hawaii!!:)

- Nick

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
How long has to been since the surgery…and how is the recovery going?

My wife has been thinking about LASIK for years. Maybe one of these days.

If the sunglasses were free…is that really treating yourself??;) I'm sure you paid for them. Pretty sure their cost got "squeezed" into the LASIK charges somehow!;)

I'm not too picky...I like free!:)

- Nick

The surgery was a breeze. It took about 2 hours from walking in the door to walking out on the day of the surgery. Nothing was painful or anything like that. I was a bit disconcerting when they pressed down on my eyes with the machine. You can't see for a minute or so because there is so much pressure there. Anyhow, I was seeing better (distance) immediately. Light sensitive for a few hours and dry eyes for about 3 weeks. And yes, I put quotes around "free" as I'm sure they were factored into the cost of the surgery. I need reading glasses now for close in stuff - need to move the iPhone about 2 feet out to see small text in a web browser. Still, I''d do it again in a heartbeat. Best money I've spent in a long time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The surgery was a breeze. It took about 2 hours from walking in the door to walking out on the day of the surgery. Nothing was painful or anything like that. I was a bit disconcerting when they pressed down on my eyes with the machine. You can't see for a minute or so because there is so much pressure there. Anyhow, I was seeing better (distance) immediately. Light sensitive for a few hours and dry eyes for about 3 weeks.

What about the "sparkly's" (small little flashes/sparkles of light)…and driving at night (oncoming headlights). I've heard these are two things that can occur shortly after the LASIK…but get better with time.

What causes the dry eyes?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
back in my bike racing days a pair of cool shades was a vital piece of kit

i started out with these: oakley, briko, Rudy-Project: Briko Stinger in an attempt to emulate my hero Mario Cipollini (yes I also rode a Cannondale frame!)

moved onto a pair of oakley m frames with blue iridium lenses (tres chic and coincided with my best couple of years of form - pic from a long distance time trial from 1999!!)

wore these until i retired from the sport - and below is a gratuitous picture of the bike that i last raced on!!

nowadays I wear a pair of Oakley straight jackets but no longer ride unfortunately

sc0084ace5.jpg

DSCF0130.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im presuming LASIK is some sort of laser eye surgery ; No ??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes. It's a fairly common eye surgery/procedure (or at least it's advertised a lot). Maybe it's called something different down-under.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Just for you Brent from the Wiki:

LASIK or Lasik (Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis), commonly referred to as laser eye surgery or laser vision correction, is a type of refractive surgery for the correction of myopia, hypermetropia, and astigmatism. The LASIK surgery is performed by an ophthalmologist who uses a laser or microkeratome to reshape the eye's cornea in order to improve visual acuity.[1] For most patients, LASIK provides a permanent alternative to eyeglasses or contact lenses.[2]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I had Lasik surgery about 10 years ago. Not one problem! I recommend it but, make sure you have an exceptional doctor (mine was Dr. Faubert in West Palm Beach, Fl.). I have no regrets what so ever!

I'm a Serengeti Drivers guy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My sunglasses are Maui Jim Typhoons. In my highly biased opinion, they are the best sunglasses ever made, at least for my face. I used to wear Ray-Bans but bought my first pair of these perhaps 16 years ago. Nothing has ever fit me like the Typhoons have. Maui Jim stopped making them years ago, but used ones still sell well on eBay. I lucked out and got a new pair a couple years ago after one of my 2 pairs got damaged. A couple times in the past few years, I tried to buy something different but nothing would cut it. I may have to get a 3rd pair to store away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.