• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sunglasses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes. It's a fairly common eye surgery/procedure (or at least it's advertised a lot). Maybe it's called something different down-under.:)

- Nick

Yea, Laser Eye Surgery ;P

Just for you Brent from the Wiki:

LASIK or Lasik (Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis), commonly referred to as laser eye surgery or laser vision correction, is a type of refractive surgery for the correction of myopia, hypermetropia, and astigmatism. The LASIK surgery is performed by an ophthalmologist who uses a laser or microkeratome to reshape the eye's cornea in order to improve visual acuity.[1] For most patients, LASIK provides a permanent alternative to eyeglasses or contact lenses.[2]

Ahh Thank you Charlie . . . For doing the hard yards ;)

Couldn't bare the thought of a laser on my eye, even though I did have a needle in my eye when I was 14, to put purple dye in it, to use under Black Light . . . Never again lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
What about the "sparkly's" (small little flashes/sparkles of light)…and driving at night (oncoming headlights). I've heard these are two things that can occur shortly after the LASIK…but get better with time.

What causes the dry eyes?

- Nick

Hey Nick. I got through it pretty easy as far as possible side-effects go. I didn't get any "sparkly's". I haven't' driven at night much, only because I just don't go out much at night. The few times I have been out I have not noticed any glare nor had any issues with oncoming headlights or street lights.

The dry eyes are just a result of the eyes healing from the surgery. I'm not sure of the mechanics behind it, but that's the basic premise. the doc gave me some artificial tears to put in every 2 hours for the first 2 weeks. After that it's been about 4 times a day (when I remember or when they bother me). Overall, they don't dry out too much, and have been feeling dry and itchhy even less than they were when I started this thread.

Overall, I'm happy and would do it again. My eyes were 20/20 with glasses and are now 20/15 with LASIK. No more sweat and dust sticking to my lenses when I work outdoors or play in the dirt. Plus, I get to wear "cool" sunglasses now so, ya know... priorities. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Overall, I'm happy and would do it again. My eyes were 20/20 with glasses and are now 20/15 with LASIK. No more sweat and dust sticking to my lenses when I work outdoors or play in the dirt. Plus, I get to wear "cool" sunglasses now so, ya know... priorities. ;)

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a very successful procedure & result!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a very successful procedure & result!

But unfortunately not covered by medical insurance in most cases. Although the procedure has come down in price considerably from what it was 10 years ago. I've seen it advertised around here for as low as $200 per eye. However, not sure I would trust anyone who wants to burn away parts of my cornea for that lowball price! :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thats quite pricey, when Sir Fred Hollow's could cure people from Cataract for less than $25 for both eyes.

Cataract surgery done by an eye surgeon around here is going to run over several thousand dollars per eye. However, usually Medicare will cover 80% of that and most folks who have Medicare also carry a medi-gap policy in addition so the cost is usually zero bucks.

You have to remember that when cataracts are removed, an artificial lens has to be inserted in place of the old "dirty" lens that was cut away. And they ain't cheap! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And they ain't cheap! ;)

But thats my point in the above post. Fred Hollows revolutionised the removing of Cataracts, and replacing the lens, to the point, it only costs $25 to do. When I google him to get that link, there was one that said the cost of the lens is quite low now, b of Freds input.

This is where the Dr says, I'm the best at doing this, so this will cost you x amount. As Fred worked for free, to buy the Lens was less $25, so thats why we have the Fred Hollows Foundation, so for $25 they buy the Lens, and the Drs he has trained up do what they do to put them in. . . . .No matter what we do, we always get ripped by the Dr's.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But unfortunately not covered by medical insurance in most cases. Although the procedure has come down in price considerably from what it was 10 years ago. I've seen it advertised around here for as low as $200 per eye. However, not sure I would trust anyone who wants to burn away parts of my cornea for that lowball price! :Cool:

Yeah, not cheap. I got a discount through the vision plan we have at work. Since I've been paying in to it for years without needing to buy any new glasses, it isn't really a discount as much as me claiming back my premiums. $3400 before discount; $2800 after discount. It did include no cost surgical vision corrections for life and a few other things, like some "free" Oakleys and reading glasses... I wouldn't go to a $200 slash for cash place even if someone else was paying for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$3400 before discount; $2800 after discount.

Almost exactly the price of an entry level new Mac Pro ($2999)!:)

Hmmm...better eyesight (plus some Oakley's) or a new Mac Pro??;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
How are you handling reading now? Any problems?

I'm presuming (perhaps wrongly) that you're past the age where bifocals generally come into play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
My eye doctor was very upfront with me. I was given the option of near/mid or mid/far vision. I was about 45 when I had the lasik and worked with computers so I new that readers were going to be in my future. I chose mid/far. I need readers but, I can see the leaves on trees way, way off in the distance. The only issue I can tell is that at night, I don't see the stars as clearly as I remember. I don't regret the decision at all!

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How are you handling reading now? Any problems?

I'm presuming (perhaps wrongly) that you're past the age where bifocals generally come into play.

I was getting close to needing readers anyhow. The two most immediate results were:
-I can read road signs without glasses
-I need to move my iPhone about 1.5 feet out from my face to read the normal text size for emails

I was already having to take a few seconds to adjust to read emails on the iPhone, so it's not that big of a change. Youth sailed away a while back so readers were inevitable with, or without LASIK. At least now I don't need them to drive or to see when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Had lasik surgery 12 yrs ago. Best money I ever spent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 in. OS X 10.9.1, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Brimz

I don't think you can get these anymore but I swear by them "Brimz" perfect for boatwork if I hung other styles around my neck they would fill with fiber glass dust these stay clear under the brim or my hat or visor. Love 'em!

Brimz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 in. OS X 10.9.1, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
They fold up and down.and at any angle.

Reaction score
Large Serengeti Aviators.
90+% of all commercial/ATP pilots wear them, which is how I discovered them.
They cut out all glare, yet they can penetrate the gloom.
There are only maybe three products that I swear by, and my Serengetis are at the top of the list.
(Somehow, I couldn't get the image to display here, so...)

Serengeti Aviators Photo by iJack33 | Photobucket

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, at 62, I had cataract surgery - both eyes, bionic lenses and for the first time since the 3rd grade - no glasses!! I got the multifocal lenses, so no reading glasses either. Ok, now in regard to Sunglasses, my first big spend were on Smith's at REI which are pretty great and sporty. But.... I wandered into a Sunglass Hut and discovered Maui Jim. Pricey, but think of the $$ I'm saving on prescription sunglasses. Way cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
Whatever feels comfortable for you, and suits your tastes. Driving, I wear Ray Ban Caravan. Riding my motorcycle, I wear Bobster Rattler.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.