MacBook Pro OS/disk issue

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction to resolve my issue.

Firstly, I have to admit that I did not invoke Time Machine or back up my hard disk, if I get this fixed I will certainly do so in the future. The platform is a MacBook Pro about 3 years old, which shipped with Lion. Since then I have upgraded to Mavericks and all was working well until recently.

I shut the lid whilst the Mac was on and then forgot about it so it drained the battery and when I next booted up with power lead plugged in I just got a grey screen. My theory was that this had damaged the directory and so I bought Disk Warrior, which I had used a lot before years ago on Power PC Macs with great success. But this might have made things worse, as now I get the flashing '?' mark, which I assume means the boot up files of the OS are probably damaged? I tried to use Apple's online recovery service (Command + R) which on this Mac defaults to Lion install. When I select my hard disc and try to re install the OS, I get a message something like, 'install cannot be completed because there is a newer version of OS X already installed?

So a viscous circle, cannot obtain a boot up disc for Mavericks and Lion will not install. I had also tried Disc Utilities previously to verify disc. This did highlight an error about ‘Extent’? All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Reaction score
If you upgraded to Mavericks you should have a recovery disk (partition). Boot holding down Option and select 'Recovery Disk'. You can do a reinstall or Repair of Mavericks from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The message indicated Mavericks is still there.

Have you tried plugging in to the mains and leave for several hours to see if the battery can recharge? Sort of like replacing the old PRAM battery. When you reboot use the reset PRAM order, Command, Option, P and R Keys held down prior to the chime, and keep the keys held down until the third chime.

Fingers crossed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph4405

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.