So still no new Mac Mini.. But if they released one this fall.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hey Everyone.. So still no new Mac Mini. To be honest, not sure if they even made one with the current i7 CPU of comparable speed in GHz would it even be a real upgrade. What would it be like 10% faster at most. Yea iris pro 5200 isn't bad, but are they even going with 5200 or just using the 5000 series graphics. Which BTW is still slower in AMD or nVidia mobile options. That said. If they wait till this fall to release a new Mac Mini, what CPU/iGPU would it have in it anyway.. Would it still be the current ones that are out now? I thought Intel was supposed to be already on a new model by now? Well anyway at this point I am thinking of just getting 16GB of RAM for mine. But would really like to see what they have in store for the Mini before spending the cash..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The Mac-Mini lineup is well past due for an update. So if a new model/models are coming out anytime soon…I'm going to bet that something comes out in time for the return to school in the Fall.

But then again…Apple has always been difficult to predict.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
The one thing I want over my current Mac Mini is Iris graphics. Iris Pro would be keen but I'm not to sure I'd want to pay what Apple would charge for it.

I do only have the i5 model so when the refresh comes, if the Mini stays at the same price point I will definitely step up to an i7.

Unless they start soldering the Mini. It's got to stay upgradeable. If it isn't, I'll look to grab an old i7 and beef it up with parts from OWC.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
The one thing I want over my current Mac Mini is Iris graphics. Iris Pro would be keen but I'm not to sure I'd want to pay what Apple would charge for it.

I do only have the i5 model so when the refresh comes, if the Mini stays at the same price point I will definitely step up to an i7.

Unless they start soldering the Mini. It's got to stay upgradeable. If it isn't, I'll look to grab an old i7 and beef it up with parts from OWC.

Yea I got the i7 2.6GHz (2.9 turbo), that and I am very fond of the Ivy Core.. upgraded to an SSD right after getting it and got it with 8GB of RAM.. so mine isn't hurting.. Thinking the RAM boost would be about 12% increased speed for me under heavy load like video editing, if thats a heavy load.. While I do use Photoshop, the HD4000 is fine for it. Lightroom doesn't even use a GPU for acceleration yet. Most all my apps are CPU based.. So as much as the increased GPU power would be nice, it would only affect me playing Diablo III in my spare time.. Which I don't have a lot off.. SO thinking of the 16GB of RAM as setting out this next upgrade cycle.. The only reason I was considering it really is I wanted a computer for my daughter who is turning 9 this summer, she needs some stuff for education and learning.. So I wanted to pass mine down to her and get me another one..

I seen rumors, keyword "rumors". That there wasn't going to be anymore Minis.. But I am sure Apple has to fill this niche with something similar even if it was true..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
I still think the 2012 i5 is a good buy, even if it is relatively dated now. I haven't been unhappy about the performance on my Mini for anything I do on OS X (except maybe from the HDD, 5400 RPM, really?!). I do use my Mini for gaming though and while I don't have huge expectations gaming on an integrated chip, the Iris is a big upgrade over the 4000 so it'd be nice to get the boost. Though I think I need the i7 more than the Iris graphics.

The i5 is more than powerful enough for web browsing, media consumption, and office work though which is what i do 90% of the time on my computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless they start soldering the Mini. It's got to stay upgradeable.

+1 It seems Apple is trending more toward non-upgradeable Macs with the exception of the Mac Pro and maybe the top of the line iMac. But it's not only Apple; look at the latest machines from the big PC makers - HP, Lenovo, Acer. (Sony is no longer making PCs.) So far Dell is the only one who offers upgrades with most of their models.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.