Cut up an Audio Book

Reaction score
I've got an mp3 audio book and it's one big file. When I play it on my iPhone and pause to do something else, it frequently returns to the beginning of the book when I resume. I was wondering if there's an app for the iMac that will automatically cut the book into a series of files of a length I select. Seems like I once had a pc program that would search for a blank spot every X minutes and cut the file into individual mp3's. If I had individual files like that, at least I wouldn't be so far away from where was.

This is not the right section to ask, I know, but since I'm typing I'll ask if this is normal behavior for an iPhone. I have an iPhone 4s updated to the current software. Shouldn't it be able to pause and resume from the paused place in the file?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No need to do that. Only doing what you describe because it's being recognized as "music" not an audio book.

Head into iTunes - find that file - right click on it - select Get Info - head for the Options tab - change the "Media Kind" to Audiobook. Then resync - I'd probably delete that title from your iPhone 1st, then resync.

You can also try the Audible player instead of the default music player - but, it still needs to be identified as an Audiobook, not a music file.

OP
J
Reaction score
No need to do that. Only doing what you describe because it's being recognized as "music" not an audio book.

Head into iTunes - find that file - right click on it - select Get Info - head for the Options tab - change the "Media Kind" to Audiobook. Then resync - I'd probably delete that title from your iPhone 1st, then resync.

You can also try the Audible player instead of the default music player - but, it still needs to be identified as an Audiobook, not a music file.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I had already done that. The book shows up in my Audio Books section on iTunes. I did go into the options screen to recheck it, and is Audiobook. Also, the "Remember Playback Position" is greyed out, but it is checked.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Those bottom couple of options are greyed out on the books I get from Librivox, etc. also...

Haven't had this issue, so not sure where to tell you to go next. Plus, I haven't used the iOS music app to play an audiobook in several years.

I can recommend giving the Audible app a shot. The app is free and it will allow you to play audiobooks that reside in iTunes.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another option would be to add chapter markers rather than splitting the file. Good tool for this is Audiobook Builder.

It's been awhile since I used it as I get practically all my books from Audible now, but I used it for 2-3 years when I was still buying books on CD and for downloaded public domain books.

Grab the free trial and make sure it will do what you would like - I was using it primarily for joining the individual tracks/downloads together.

OP
J
Reaction score
Those bottom couple of options are greyed out on the books I get from Librivox, etc. also...

Haven't had this issue, so not sure where to tell you to go next. Plus, I haven't used the iOS music app to play an audiobook in several years.

I can recommend giving the Audible app a shot. The app is free and it will allow you to play audiobooks that reside in iTunes.
I've downloaded the audible app and will try it out. I also see that I like the interface better. The buttons are bigger and the progress slider is easier to use. I've tried stopping and resuming sitting at my computer desk with no problem. I even removed the audible app from memory and it still remembered where it was. That's a good sign.

The real test will be when I listen in my car. There I use a data cable on my iPhone 4s and plug it into the aux-in on my receiver. When I arrive at a stop on my travels, I unplug the phone, then plug it back in when I resume my driving. If the Audible app still remembers it's place, than I'll be very happy.

Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
J
Reaction score
BTW, I found this app on the app store called Magic Cutter which looks like it would do the job, but I costs $10. I've never paid $10 for an app.

I looked at Audiobook Builder and I see it will create chapters, but how does it do it? Can I tell it to look for a silent spot every xx minutes?

If the audible app does the job, I won't need to go further.

C

chas_m

The actual solution to this problem is to convert the MP3 file (which has no facility for chapters or markers) to iTunes' M4B (the "b" stands for "bookmarkable") format. Here's a free program that can do this for you:

Download AudioBook Binder for Mac - Convert MP3 audio files to M4B format for iPod compatibility. MacUpdate.com

Once converted, iTunes will be able to remember where you stopped and pick up again from there.

PS. You've never paid $10 for software??? Don't you think you should, when it is so useful and the person who wrote it deserves the money?

OP
J
Reaction score
The actual solution to this problem is to convert the MP3 file (which has no facility for chapters or markers) to iTunes' M4B (the "b" stands for "bookmarkable") format. Here's a free program that can do this for you:

Download AudioBook Binder for Mac - Convert MP3 audio files to M4B format for iPod compatibility. MacUpdate.com

Once converted, iTunes will be able to remember where you stopped and pick up again from there.

PS. You've never paid $10 for software??? Don't you think you should, when it is so useful and the person who wrote it deserves the money?
I could have been clearer in my comment. Even though we were discussing an app for the iMac, in my head I was thinking about an app for the iPhone. I have had a high bar of usefulness for an iPhone app before I'll pay $5 or more for it. After further thought, I have done that, but very seldom.

Of course this app is for an iMac, but it has limited utility for me, basically to split up an audio file and I still think $10 is a steep price for what iI would use it for. It only has a total of 58 ratings, so I think many other customers have thought the same thing.

I have spent hundreds of dollars on a single software application, so I am willing to pay the price when I think it's justified. I just that Magic Cutter is over priced.

Thanks for the link to Audio Book binder, it could be very useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.