SD card in slot

Reaction score
An SD card was put into one of the slots on the side of my iMac. I'm not sure how it went in, but I can put another SD card into the SD slot and it can be read. The missing SD card doesn't show up on the desktop, and turning the computer on it's side doesn't dis-lodge it. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Eh? Are you sure it's in the SD slot? I don't think it'd be possible to lose one in there. It's not in the DVD slot by chance? That's actually somewhat common to happen.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are we possibily talking about one of those "teeny" micro SD cards stuck in the slot...and the 2nd SD card is a full sized one? This is assuming we are talking about both cards being in the same slot at the same time...and not the optical drive slot & the SD card slot.

Like lifeisabeach mentioned...I don't think that there's any way to get two full sized SD cards in there at the same time.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
The card is one that is almost 1" wide by 1 1/4" long. I am thinking it must be in the CD drive. Just don't know if there is any way we can get to it ourselves or should I just take it in to Apple?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The card is one that is almost 1" wide by 1 1/4" long. I am thinking it must be in the CD drive.

There's a very very BIG difference between the size of the CD drive slot and the SD card slot (mentioned in post #1). Can you please confirm which one it is??

I'm pretty sure as well that it's the CD drive slot...since a full sized SD card can't get "lost" in the SD card slot that it was designed for.

Only thing I can suggest is DON'T DON'T DON'T insert any DVD's or CD's into the slot with an SD card "lost" in there. This may only make things worse!!!

Turn the computer on it's side (so the slot is facing downwards)...and try to hear if the SD card is moving/jiggling around inside. If it is...try to get it to fall towards the slot. If you can get the SD card just on the other side of the slot...you may be able to CAREFULLY "fish" it out with a thin piece of plastic (like a plastic knife or credit card)...or maybe & carefully try a paperclip (don't insert the paperclip too far).

If the SD card is stuck somewhere in there (can't hear it moving or jiggling)...then this issue is going to require more serious surgery.

Of course the iMac is a bit big & awkward to have on it's side while trying this...so you will probably need a 2nd person to help.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm pretty sure as well that it's the CD drive slot...since a full sized SD card can't get "lost" in the SD card slot that it was designed for.

Another good reason for removing the optical drive from the latest Macs! :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another good reason for removing the optical drive from the latest Macs! :p

Ahh…I think that you may have stumbled on something. The "Apple Gods" are smarter than us. Who were we to question why optical drives were removed!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
as an aside, around 15 years ago when in work we had PCs which were the size of a large cardboard box, we got a CD with an important high court decision on to look at. a small crowd gathered around to read it.

my colleague inserted the CD into what she thought was the CD drive but was only a gap in the PC case

the sound of the CD hitting the bottom of the inside of the case will live with me forever as will the 5 or 10 minutes of howling laughter that followed from all around

one screwdriver later and the CD was rescued

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the sound of the CD hitting the bottom of the inside of the case will live with me forever as will the 5 or 10 minutes of howling laughter that followed from all around

I practically heard that CD hit the bottom of the case while reading that!;)lol

- Nick

Reaction score
I absentmindedly stuck an SD card into the DVD drive on my iMac. It destroyed the optical drive, had to have it replaced at the Apple store, 200 miles away. They had it 2 days, I had to rent a room while waiting for it. Moral of the story is: don't put your camera cards in your iMac by "feel"!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I absentmindedly stuck an SD card into the DVD drive on my iMac. It destroyed the optical drive, had to have it replaced at the Apple store, 200 miles away. They had it 2 days, I had to rent a room while waiting for it.

If it was me (rather than go thru all that)…I would have just purchased a $50 external optical drive.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
External optical drive wouldn't have retrieved my SD card from the guts of the iMac!

Yes that is true.:) But then again…I never would have taken it to Apple either. I do all my own computer work. But I understand if this is not your "cup of tea".;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I wouldn't have a clue as to how to take an iMac apart. Usually when I try working on that kind of stuff, it never works again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't have a clue as to how to take an iMac apart. Usually when I try working on that kind of stuff, it never works again!

Depends on the iMac model on how hard it is.

Everyone that has ever working on an automobile, hit a nail with a hammer, turned a screw with a screw driver, or worked on a computer...had to start somewhere.:)

There are some really excellent websites out there to help first-timers and experts as well...work on their computers.;) This is one we recommend often::)

www.ifixit.com

But then again...it all depends on a person's interests...and how much motivation they have to save money. I like to SAVE MONEY (not pay someone else big bucks to do what I can easily do)!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Same thing happened to my son - his daughter put an sd card into the optical drive. I asked an Apple Genius and he said fold a piece of paper in half, slide it into the slot and pull it out, The card should come out with it. Worked like a charm.

Reaction score
According to the guy at the shop, they have to remove the screen with a special magnetic puller. I can just see me trying to pry it off with a screwdriver and buying a new computer. Much rather blame someone else for breaking it. It would be nice if there was a computer shop nearby, but you have to go to Anchorage to get anything fixed. I might add that this happened last year at the same time Apple was replacing the Seagate hardrives in the iMacs, so it was worth it to make the drive and visit some friends while waiting for it.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to the guy at the shop, they have to remove the screen with a special magnetic puller.

Unless it's a very early or very recent Intel iMac...that "special puller" is two suction cups!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.