Need help changing Apple ID password

Reaction score
Hi. I have two Apple ID's: one that I and my entire family use for iTunes purchases, and one that I use for iCloud and my personal email. Maybe I set them up incorrectly, but both ID's use the same password. I want to have a different password for each ID. Anyone know how to do this?

The attachment shows what I see when I sign onto appleid.apple.com to manage my Apple ID's (the Jones name is fictitious). My set-up appears to link my iTunes ID to my iCloud ID. If I change the password for one of the ID's, it also changes to the same password for the other ID (which is not what I want). Any help appreciated ...

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 13.54..png

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks, but not helpful. If I change the password for one of the ID's, the password for the other ID also changes. I need a way to change the password for only one of the ID's ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't think you can do what I think you're trying to do without contacting Apple for them to make any such change for multiple accounts or possibly cancel some of them, and I also believe that one is restricted as to how often one can request any such changes.

Give Apple a call.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What you are showing a picture of is not multiple Apple IDs. That is a single Apple ID.

Each Apple ID auto creates a corresponding iCloud email address and the 2 are tied together.

If you want to use a separate password for iCloud, then you'll need to create and use a separate iCloud ID that is not tied to that single Apple ID.
There exists no way to unlink that iCloud account from that Apple ID.

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay. Very helpful. I am trying to set up Apple ID's for my entire family, and frankly it's a bit confusing to know how to set them up properly so that we can share a common Apple ID for iTunes and iBooks purchases, but have separate Apple ID's for each person's iCloud email, iMessaging, FaceTime, iCloud device back-ups, etc. Clearly I have more to learn ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do the same here, although the kids are gone so it's just the 2 of us.

Keep the same Apple ID across everyone's device - that will be for all of your purchases, books movies, music, apps, etc.
You'll need to set up an individual ID for everyone to use for iCloud and all that other stuff. Each one will need an email address to set it up - so, if they don't have one, just grab a new gmail, yahoo, etc. address for the set up. Here is more info about it - link.

Wife and I use the same ID for all purchases and separate IDs for iCloud.
In iTunes and the app store on your computers and in Settings - Store on iDevices you'll use the primary Apple ID for everyone's purchases.
Then you'll set up each one's iCloud settings on all the devices with their own personal account.

I use the primary Apple ID for my iCloud since it doesn't matter if my wife knows the login - but, if you don't want the kids knowing the login for your email, etc. then you'll need to set up a 2nd account for you to use with iCloud also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.