Printing from MacBook Pro to Canon IR Adv 6255

Reaction score
Hello I am sys admin at a private school. We have Canon IR Adv 6255. We have serveral 10.0.x MacBook Pros that do not print to this machine. It was properly added with Mac drivers and so forth but will not connect. Does anyone know about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Can you tell me the exact driver that was tried?
UFR II? Version? for which OS X version?
Does the printer have a Fiery (postscript) controller?

OP
W
Reaction score
Printing Mac to Canon

Yes ufr ll 4 I think. Os 10.9.x macbook pros. What is Firey postscript.? Is that what I need. I will see if I have it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
What is Firey postscript.? Is that what I need.

Fiery is an add-on which changes which driver you use. You don't "need" it, but if you have it that would explain why the UFR II driver isn't working. You need to download the correct driver for the specific model you have.

And I forgot to ask - does the printer require a user code?

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
Firey post script

I still dont know if I have it (firey post script) I am checking with Canon. By the way, I have downloaded the specific mac drivers to the macbook pros and still did not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
By the way, I have downloaded the specific mac drivers to the macbook pros and still did not work.

OK, which of the 3 drivers did you try?
PS, PPD or UFR II

If it was the UFR II again, try one of the other two. PPD is the simplest driver, using OS X generic postscript internals.

And what protocol are you using to add the printer? I suggest you use IP > HP Jetdirect protocol. That's instead of Bonjour or others.

Have you tried using USB just as a test?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I still dont know if I have it (firey post script) I am checking with Canon. By the way, I have downloaded the specific mac drivers to the macbook pros and still did not work.

Hello - I'm assuming that you want to print 'wirelessly' from the MBPros - correct? If so, the easiest way is to have a printer that is AirPrint Compatible - check the link for a list of printers that have this Apple proprietary technology - I have a MBPro w/ the most current version of Mavericks - prints via Wi-Fi to my Canon Pixma printer..

Of course, an alternative is to 'wire' (e.g. USB) the laptops in some fashion or put the printer on your network, e.g. I have an older Brother laser printer (not an AirPrint one) also that I can print to 'over the air'.

Is the printer connected (i.e. wired) to a computer - there are apps that can be placed on a computer and allow the laptops to print wirelessly - I use to have one on my old PC (now have an iMac) called FingerPrint from Collobos - they offer a subscription service now, so check out their website to see if that might work?

Finally, Canon may be able to suggest an option either w/ their own software or a network solution - good luck. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
wc3213:
I don't have a Canon printer, so my help is limited to general, found on the web, advice. If you want specific help with that printer on a Mac, I suggest you post on the discussions.apple.com OS X > Mavericks > Printing discussion area. There is a user called PAHU who is an expert at Canon printers. He works with them every day.
When you start a new Discussion, put your printer model as well as something like "paging PAHU" in the title.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
wc3213:
I don't have a Canon printer, so my help is limited to general, found on the web, advice. If you want specific help with that printer on a Mac, I suggest you post on the discussions.apple.com OS X > Mavericks > Printing discussion area. There is a user called PAHU who is an expert at Canon printers. He works with them every day.
When you start a new Discussion, put your printer model as well as something like "paging PAHU" in the title.

Hi Gsahli - why don't we let Wc3213 respond before sending him off to another forum - there is plenty of expertise here and the OP has not clarified his/her situation well nor has he/she responded to questions in my post. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.