iPhoto replacement - Aperture vs. Lightroom

Reaction score
I am using Photoshop Elements on a 2009 Macbook Pro with a 500GB SSD and archival storage on an external SSB drive - about 350GB of pictures. It works very well, it is fast and it does just about everything I need it to do.

Reaction score
Lightroom

If I had a DAM with the File structure of Aperture and the developing features of LR, then I would have the perfect DAM IMO. . . . . The way LR uses their files/folders is just down right BAD, and there is no continuity to it, no logical way of sorting, its a abomination . . . I loved the way I could find any image I wanted within seconds in Aperture . . . . From the screen shot I have seen of Photos, then I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with what it has to offer. Heck even iPhoto on iOS had a lot of great feature and all of them where in Aperture.

I don't know how you are using Lightroom, but I have over 39,000 images in Lightroom and I can find anything I want within a very short time with just a few key strokes!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I don't know how you are using Lightroom, but I have over 39,000 images in Lightroom and I can find anything I want within a very short time with just a few key strokes!!!

Yea, I prob need to do a video tutorial on that to help a few folks out. I keep about 15k on my system at any given time. I really hope my new WD MyBook drives come in this week, I can't do any time-lapse's or much other shooting until I get more space..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Anyone wanting to move from Aperture to LR in the coming months, and is wondering how they are going to move 10/20/30k of images, then I have the solution for you.
Have a read of this article about a App in the Mac App Store called Aperture Exporter. Article

Your original files, whether they are RAW or Jpeg will be exported and organized within a folder along with the metadata (ready to be imported into Lightroom). You also have the option of moving “baked versions” of images that you’ve edited. I’ve selected Jpeg for that format, but you can choose Tiffs instead.

Aperture Exporter ~ MAS Link within

C

chas_m

I see that Adobe has now published a step-by-step guide, but right at the very beginning they say they're working on a migration tool (good) but that the step-by-step guide they're putting out now will (essentially) completely ruin your photo collection, since the list of things it can't import is LONG, starting with your edited images. You have to export all those as TIFF so now you have two copies of all your pictures. No thanks!

Aperture will continue to work in Yosemite, as will iPhoto, and both should be compatible with the forthcoming Photos. While it may not be the right solutionfor everyone, if Macphun and Athentech and perhaps a couple others offer plug-ins for Photos, I'm in.

Reaction score
>> . . . . . iPhoto will be replaced by a new program called Photos . . . <<

Finally, the iNonsense may be coming to an iWelcome iEnd. iAbout iTime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.