Help me figure out how to update to a newer iphone!

Reaction score
So I've been looking around here but couldn't find any situation similar to my own.

In July of 2012 I got my first iphone, a 4s that is still in good condition that I use today. However, in January of 2014 I got out of my contract for a good deal and updated to the iphone 5s. After only a little over a month of having that phone, I set it on top of my car and then proceeded to drive off into a busy street, never to find that phone again . :Grimmace:

Well, after looking and looking for a few days I called up ATT and had my older 4s reactivated. Now, as I have had my 4s in my possession for nearly 2 years, I am interested in waiting a few months and then purchasing a 6 when it comes out.

My question is, will I be able to update my iphone because I purchased the 4s in July? Or, will I have to keep the 4s another full two years before having the chance to update, because I bought a new phone in January and had a contract for that.
Is there any way I will be able to buy a new contract for the iphone 6 without having to spend another 2 years on the soon to be outdated 4s?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Contact AT&T and ask them, otherwise buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple which you can then activate with a carrier of your choice. Nowadays most carriers are giving better deals on already purchased iPhones. You really do not save money by taking a 2 year subsidized contract with AT&T for a new iPhone 6. (whenever it comes out)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.