Mac Pro came with Mountain Lion but upgraded to Maverick and opened can of worms

Reaction score
I have a computer that I am fixing and the user stated it came with Mountain Lion he recently upgraded the harddrive but once in a while hears a clicking noise on start up. He also complains that after hard drive install the computer get the spinning beach ball alot. He also said Now just recently the computer started up with a question mark on a folder.

So what is the best approach for someone in this situation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That sounds like a failed hard drive to me. I'd flat out replace it.

EDIT: If it is indeed a new drive, return it to the store. If past the return date, contact the manufacturer if it's still under warranty.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with LB above.

Is this a Mac Pro tower or Macbook Pro Laptop?

OP
nexusxox
Reaction score
Yea its a MacBook Pro and the funny thing he said he just replaced the hard drive how could it go so soon

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yea its a MacBook Pro and the funny thing he said he just replaced the hard drive how could it go so soon

I personally have purchased brand new drives that were DOD out of the box. It does happen!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a computer that I am fixing and the user stated it came with Mountain Lion he recently upgraded the harddrive but once in a while hears a clicking noise on start up.

If you're a repair person shouldn't you know the answers to these questions??;) The answers are the same whether a Windows or Mac computer.

As mentioned above…if the HD is "newish"…it should be returned for a replacement.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the drive is clicking and not booting it likely has issues. Like I said above some BRAND new drives have been DOA over the years of my computer repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Never trust what the customer says about 'recently' and 'new'. Go to the drive manufacturer's web page, check out the serial number and return if under warranty. Also seen brand new drives, SSD also, DOA in the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.