Macbook pro retina 15 inch internal keyboard was changed to JIS

Reaction score
I recently got my keyboard replaced but it seems like the keyboard part they used was a JIS type keyboard.

now all of my settings show the JIS layout (with [ key inputting @ instead and so on)

I realize that I can override this through key4remap but I wanted to see if I could fix this issue without relying on this software.

I have figured out that I need to change the keyboard type of the internal keyboard (the one attached to the macbook) to ANSI instead of the JIS it is registered as.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, simply go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources and change it there. Or, better yet, take it back and tell them that they gave you the wrong keyboard.

OP
S
Reaction score
unfortunately I am not able to protest the workmanship because it was a liquid damage and they claimed that the liquid damage cases are unstable (50/50). They also claimed that these keyboard replacements worked fine for others before, so there's no reason why it should act this way.
Im starting to think this is more of a software issue now though.

to clarify as to what is happening, the keyboard layout is being used as JIS layout.
I have posted a picture of what this looks like.

The thing is, changing the input source does not do anything, because the US keyboard layout is the one that is in the JIS format.
meaning, all of my standard key layouts except austrailia and british have @ next to P instead of it being shift + 2

I will also post pictures of my keyboard viewer when i get home.

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 2.28.03 PM.png

Reaction score
Ctrl| Win Key| Alt?
This isn't a Mac keyboard. What computer is this (laptop/desktop)?
What kind of keyboard?

OP
S
Reaction score
The picture attached is just a JIS layout image I got from wikipedia.

My keyboard is an internal keyboard attached to the macbook pro retina 15 inch. It looks like a standard US keyboard but the keyboard viewer shows JIS. Like i said, I'll post a screenshot of this when i get home later since I do not have the notebook right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Bypassing what the keyboard viewer shows, what country are you in and what does the actual replacement keyboard look like?

Maybe one of these???...:
How to identify keyboard localizations

OP
S
Reaction score
the keyboard actually looks like the US standard keyboard, identical to what i had before i replaced it... LOL

I'm in the U.S., btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say that the US keyboard may be selected, but it's possibly messed up in the setup in the International or Language & Region pref pane settings, and no doubt for the wrong Region.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.