Two questions- SSD and RAM usage

Reaction score
Specs:

17" MBP 2011
2.2GHz Sandy Bridge Core i7 quad core
8GB of 1333MHz RAM
Intel HD 3000/AMD Radeon 6750M
500GB 5400RPM HDD

1) I'm getting a 256GB SSD soon, and I was wondering what kind of performance impact I should expect.

2) Is it just me or is Mavericks using MASSIVE amounts of RAM? It on average uses 7.85GB/8GB of RAM. The MBP still runs fine, it's just that I'm really worried, as this is 90+% of the RAM on a machine that has a good amount of RAM (way more than Windows would consume)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1) I'm getting a 256GB SSD soon, and I was wondering what kind of performance impact I should expect.

- Much faster booting of the computer
- Much faster launching of apps
- Much faster loading/opening of files
- Faster saving of files

As far as the Mavericks ram question. Mavericks manages ram differently than earlier OS versions. So as long as your computer is not experiencing problems…it's fine.:)

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In one word ~ dramatic. Best bang for your buck there is.

Your 8GB will be fine for Mavericks. It uses memory in a different manner to earlier operating systems as Nick pointed out.

OP
T
Reaction score
- Much faster booting of the computer
- Much faster launching of apps
- Much faster loading/opening of files
- Faster saving of files

As far as the Mavericks ram question. Mavericks manages ram differently than earlier OS versions. So as long as your computer is not experiencing problems…it's fine.:)

* Nick

In one word ~ dramatic. Best bang for your buck there is.

Your 8GB will be fine for Mavericks. It uses memory in a different manner to earlier operating systems as Nick pointed out.

Sweet. Guess I won't regret this then :p

Can anyone give me a technical explanation of how memory is managed on Mavericks? I googled it a bit but all I could really find was a general trend that "free RAM is wasted RAM".

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
2) Is it just me or is Mavericks using MASSIVE amounts of RAM? It on average uses 7.85GB/8GB of RAM. The MBP still runs fine, it's just that I'm really worried, as this is 90+% of the RAM on a machine that has a good amount of RAM (way more than Windows would consume)
How are you counting the used memory? I get the feeling that you might be counting inactive memory. If you're not, sort by memory usage and work backwards to start killing off that which you don't need (but is taking up sizeable chunks of your memory).

OP
T
Reaction score

Haha I saw those, but Mavericks also tends to in general use a lot more RAM (like the bundled programs- Safari especially). How is RAM usage allowed to go up to 8GB in the first place is what I'm more curious about.

How are you counting the used memory? I get the feeling that you might be counting inactive memory. If you're not, sort by memory usage and work backwards to start killing off that which you don't need (but is taking up sizeable chunks of your memory).

I'm using Mavericks, so I don't think inactive is even a category on Activity Monitor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha I saw those, but Mavericks also tends to in general use a lot more RAM (like the bundled programs- Safari especially). How is RAM usage allowed to go up to 8GB in the first place is what I'm more curious about.

- Are you sure you're not confusing "Memory Used" and "Virtual Memory" (just checking).
- Also how many apps do you have open at the same time (and what are they usually)?

If you have a lot of apps open simultaneously…you very well may be using up all your installed ram.

Here's an image of Activity Monitor from Mavericks as a reference::)

HT5890_02-osx_109-activity_monitor_memory-002-en.png

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm using Mavericks, so I don't think inactive is even a category on Activity Monitor.
True, Apple has removed it from AM (I see why but I wish there was still the option to see it).

If you have a lot of apps open simultaneously…you very well may be using up all your installed ram.
I think this might be the case. thattypicalnerd, you mention using RAM hogs such as Safari (the memory leak expert) - have you considered alternatives to some of the stock apps?

OP
T
Reaction score
- Are you sure you're not confusing "Memory Used" and "Virtual Memory" (just checking).
- Also how many apps do you have open at the same time (and what are they usually)?

Here's an image of Activity Monitor from Mavericks as a reference::)

HT5890_02-osx_109-activity_monitor_memory-002-en.png

- Nick

Positive. The image later in this post confirms it :p Running only Safari, Mail, Messages, iTunes, and Activity Monitor.

True, Apple has removed it from AM (I see why but I wish there was still the option to see it).

I think this might be the case. thattypicalnerd, you mention using RAM hogs such as Safari (the memory leak expert) - have you considered alternatives to some of the stock apps?

Oh... that might explain it XD I've heard Chrome is just as bad or worse though. Also I've heard that Chrome tends to be worse on battery (due to Safari having power management improvements written by Apple)

activity monitor.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chrome uses more initially but it holds steady and doesn't leak it. It does however use considerably more battery juice to do its thing.

OP
T
Reaction score
Chrome uses more initially but it holds steady and doesn't leak it. It does however use considerably more battery juice to do its thing.

Guess I have to pick my poison then :p Hmm well the Mac doesn't seem to be slowing down even a little bit, so I guess I'll stick with the memory hog that Safari is.

Also, if anyone is still interested, my SSD came in the mail today! I made a video testing how fast this thing boots up now and... wow. Just... wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eP-Yk2kVaM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.