iPhone 4

Reaction score
Hi,
Like so many millions of others I'd love to own an iPhone and like so many others can't afford a new one.So I am exploring the possibility of buying a second hand iPhone 4 but am wondering what some of the terms mean such as " unlocked" and "Sim Free" I think was another I saw.Apart from the usual buyer beware which applies to all purchases,are there other pitfalls I should look out for? Thanks in advance.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The biggest pitfall - you're looking to buy an iPhone that's much too old. The current version of iOS is the last version that will support the iPhone 4 so once iOS 8 starts rolling out this fall, you'll be left behind. That, and the fact that iOS 7 isn't exactly the best experience on the iPhone 4 as-is (see here, here).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
"SIM-free" means the phone was never locked to a particular network.
"Unlocked" means the phone is no longer locked to a particular network, and may or may not have been locked to one in the past.

Whether this two terms are being used correctly by a potential vendor, is another matter entirely, more so if it's a private seller. It would be prudent to enquire, regardless of which of the two terms being used to describe the phone, how exactly it became unlocked, with four possible answers:

• Was never locked in the first place - i.e. sold SIM-free by Apple, Carphone Warehouse, eXpansys, etc, etc
  • Was unlocked by Apple
  • Was unlocked [officially] by the network (this is basically the same as the previous one)
  • Was unlocked privately

First three are fine, the fourth is a big NO-NO.

If you are in the UK, any iPhone locked to 3 originally can now be unlocked for free, officially, just by completing a form on their site - a very refreshing approach, that other networks could do well to replicate.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Would strongly recommend getting a iPhone 4S if you're looking for a budget iPhone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.